Application Exchange

Square drop oscillation under surface tension – 2D axi-symmetric model

muriel carin, universite de bretagne sud

This model is concerned with the simulation of incompressible Newtonian fluid flow problems with surface tension. An initially cubic drop of water is oscillating under surface tension forces. This model is developed for a 2D axi-symmetric transient analysis. The movement and deformation of the computational domain are accounted for by employing the Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) description of the fluid kinematics.
The implementation of the model is detailled step by step in the pdf file fir the version 3.5a. To visualize the solution, you need to solve the model.

Other Entries by This Contributor

User Comments

susant patra
Apr 9, 2010 at 9:25pm UTC

Hi,

I followed the method defined in the paper but the solution did not converge. I am using 3.5 version. Unfortunately I could not open the comsol file as it is created by a later version may be 3.5a? Is it possible to save the file in older version?

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:45pm UTC

it is a nice work, do you have version 4.0a?

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:10pm UTC

It is really a wonderful work.

would you pls to give some detail on the weakform boundary condition?

why it is this form:

-nu_surf*r*uTr_test-nu_surf*u_test

By the way, if there is a wetting condition on the right point, how to deal with?

Thanks a lot!

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:31am UTC

The boundary condition form is due to the fact that a cylindrical coordinate system is used. Had a cartesian coordinate system been used, the expressions would have been:

-nu_surf * test(uTx)
-nu_surf * test(vTy)

Hope it helps.

Rajan Iyer
Apr 20, 2011 at 5:30pm UTC

Nice work, as someone else has requested is there a verson 4.0 or later?

May 19, 2011 at 2:06pm UTC

excellent

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:03pm UTC

I have a version for 4.1+4.2 working, but it comes without the pdf introduction.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:10am UTC

Hi Øistein Wind-Willassen,

could you send the model for the version 4.2?

Thanks!!

Krithika Mohan
Jan 11, 2012 at 10:32pm UTC

Hi this is a nice work ! Could you PS post the working 4.1+4.2 version.

haoda pan
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:52pm UTC

Cool, your module make me begin to like comsol.

Manyalibo Matthews
Mar 13, 2012 at 3:12pm UTC

Is the 4.2a version available from anyone? Looks very useful.

Manyalibo Matthews
May 24, 2012 at 10:24pm UTC

I almost have the 4.2a version going, but something isn't right; the droplet just squeezes out along the r direction and doesn't bounce back. I get a contact angle along the r axis though, so my weak form for surface tension is doing something. Thoughts anyone?

Oistein - If you have the 4.2 version still available, please post, I would really appreciate it.

Angel Velasco
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:02am UTC

By any chance is this model in either 4.1 or 4.2 version available anywhere? Thanks!

Arthur Carrieri
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:45pm UTC

Dear Øistein Wind-Willassen,
If it is available, how coulod I get a copy of your above version 4.2 droplet?
Thsnk you, Arthur Carrieri.

Susant Patra
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:08pm UTC

Hi,

How to include surface tension related BC? I tried to use it under boundary stress node in comsol 4.2a. It gives error.

Regards,
Susant

Entry submitter
May 27, 2014 at 11:39am UTC

I have added the model built with the version 4.4. Sorry for the delay!

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:13pm UTC

This model has helped me a lot. Does someone know how to include wetting for this model? I'm using 4.4.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:30am UTC

Very good

Shreya Sahasrabudhe
Apr 26, 2016 at 9:42pm UTC

Did you figure out how to impose a wetting condition Zuosheng Lei? I am trying to model movement of this droplet of a porous surface where the droplet wets the surface

May 18, 2018 at 3:42pm UTC

This model is very useful for beginners
by the way
if the model is 3D symmetry,the expression of boundary condition is
-nu_surf * test(uTx)
-nu_surf * test(vTy)
-nu_surf * test(wTz)
it ir right?
Thanks a lot!

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:09am UTC

Its very useful ,nice work! But i add the same weak expression on a curve boundary it can't converge, how can it work?
Thank U!

Bacha Munir
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:23am UTC

I also applied the same strategy to elliptical shape bubble motion, but cannot converge. why?

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:13am UTC

Version 4.4 is not converging in 5.5 or later version. Can someone provide a version which would work on 5.5?

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:28pm UTC

I tried to simulate the same file on comsol 6.1 which shows nonlinear solver did not converge. Which is going wrong. Please, anyone, provide suggestions to solve the error.

Login to comment on this entry.