Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to convert 2D eddy current to 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I made a simultion about eddy current testing. My model are composed of three parts, air, metal plate and multi-coil.
I get the eddy current in the plate by expressing induced current. How can I convert the 2D vision to 3D? I want to see eddy current in 3D.
Another question is I made a line graph about the surface eddy current variation with r-direction( in shllow blue). Meanwhile, I also chose the point on the surfece and save the date about eddy current into a table, then I made a table plot by the datas of the table. But why the curves I obtained are different from each other. They are should be same.

Attached is my model.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post Nov 1, 2010, 6:10 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 31, 2010, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you checked out if J is not complex ?
then you must treat separately the real and imaginary parts to get the total value out, and the phase can give you impedance info. Check the doc

The table values do not look the same but are they ? no integration inthere, the units are identical ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked out if J is not complex ? then you must treat separately the real and imaginary parts to get the total value out, and the phase can give you impedance info. Check the doc The table values do not look the same but are they ? no integration inthere, the units are identical ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 1, 2010, 1:51 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Ivar, thank you for your suggestion.

I tried again about the value of surface eddy current and I found a very interesting phenomena. I used the function of parameterised curved 2D for adding a line on the surface of plate. When I set the line's Z direction coordinate is exactly the surface of plate(Z=11.25mm), I can get the surface eddy current with zero.
But when I set the line's Z direction coordinate is very close to the surface of plate(for example Z=11.49), I get the value which are similar to result by manual picking. I have curiosity about this.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks again.
Hi, Ivar, thank you for your suggestion. I tried again about the value of surface eddy current and I found a very interesting phenomena. I used the function of parameterised curved 2D for adding a line on the surface of plate. When I set the line's Z direction coordinate is exactly the surface of plate(Z=11.25mm), I can get the surface eddy current with zero. But when I set the line's Z direction coordinate is very close to the surface of plate(for example Z=11.49), I get the value which are similar to result by manual picking. I have curiosity about this. Looking forward to your reply! Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 1, 2010, 2:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

do not forget that if you draw a cut line COMSOL will average / intertpolate the values from the adjacent nodes, and your current (at least at 15Hz) is not only on the surface but also below inside the material

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do not forget that if you draw a cut line COMSOL will average / intertpolate the values from the adjacent nodes, and your current (at least at 15Hz) is not only on the surface but also below inside the material -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 1, 2010, 6:10 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I understand about this question now.

Thank you for your reply!

Beat wishes for you :-)
Hi, I understand about this question now. Thank you for your reply! Beat wishes for you :-)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.