Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to calulate the size of the area

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,,recently ,when i finish my simulation,i want to calulate the size of the area bounded by a given contour,Could someone tell me how can i do that ?Thanks a lot.

3 Replies Last Post Oct 30, 2014, 8:28 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2010, 5:14 a.m. EST
Hi

have you tried a simple integration of the value "1" or intop1(1) the default in V4, if defined on a 3D its the volume, in 2D the area and in 1D its the length of your edge, and for 0D a point ?

you can try intop1(x) on a single point to get its x position too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried a simple integration of the value "1" or intop1(1) the default in V4, if defined on a 3D its the volume, in 2D the area and in 1D its the length of your edge, and for 0D a point ? you can try intop1(x) on a single point to get its x position too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2013, 12:12 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivar
I have the same question.
I have a laser photothermal therapy model in which I coupled the bioheat equation with thermal damage equation (Arrhenius). The model consists of two regions, tumor and the body. The outputs are temprature and OMEGA(damage variable).

In the plot section I want to calculate:
how much of the area of contour (with specific damage varibale of OMEGA=1) is inside the tumor and how much is outside. This would help me to design a protocol to adjust my parameters.

I know a little about "intop " function to calculate the area. My problem is that I dont know exactly where can I apply the intop function? since contours are in the plot section how can i choose only one contour as area of integration?

Please help me on this problem.
Thank you for your time

navid
Dear Ivar I have the same question. I have a laser photothermal therapy model in which I coupled the bioheat equation with thermal damage equation (Arrhenius). The model consists of two regions, tumor and the body. The outputs are temprature and OMEGA(damage variable). In the plot section I want to calculate: how much of the area of contour (with specific damage varibale of OMEGA=1) is inside the tumor and how much is outside. This would help me to design a protocol to adjust my parameters. I know a little about "intop " function to calculate the area. My problem is that I dont know exactly where can I apply the intop function? since contours are in the plot section how can i choose only one contour as area of integration? Please help me on this problem. Thank you for your time navid

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 30, 2014, 8:28 a.m. EDT
Dear Navid,

Did you manage to get this area technique to work in COMSOL eventually?

Regards,

Mike Hagland
Dear Navid, Did you manage to get this area technique to work in COMSOL eventually? Regards, Mike Hagland

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.