Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametrized maximum mesh size

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to parametrize the maximum mesh size. I've tried to enter function in the max. mesh size field, but it didn't work.

My problem is the following: I'm modeling a media which permittivity is spatially increasing : in order to be correct, the mesh quality of this media should also increase as the permittivity, because the wavelength decrease.

I would avoid to define many region which a differ max mesh size for each of them...

A good example should be a rectangle which its mesh quality increasing with the x direction...

Best regards,

5 Replies Last Post Jan 13, 2011, 1:01 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 4:34 a.m. EST
Hi

have you tried to put a variable in the max mesh size of your 4.1 module, There are some examples around on parametrized mesh size, so some way must be possible

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to put a variable in the max mesh size of your 4.1 module, There are some examples around on parametrized mesh size, so some way must be possible -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 4:52 a.m. EST

have you tried to put a variable in the max mesh size of your 4.1 module, There are some examples around on parametrized mesh size, so some way must be possible

Yes, I've tried to put a parameter in the max mesh size field, for example 'x' (then the max mesh size should increase as 'x'), but I does not work. Error is : "Unknown model parameter."

Best regards,
[QUOTE] have you tried to put a variable in the max mesh size of your 4.1 module, There are some examples around on parametrized mesh size, so some way must be possible [/QUOTE] Yes, I've tried to put a parameter in the max mesh size field, for example 'x' (then the max mesh size should increase as 'x'), but I does not work. Error is : "Unknown model parameter." Best regards,

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 5:33 a.m. EST
Hi,

The mesh parameters cannot depend on the space coordinates (such as x), but in version 4.1 you can use global parameters for a parameterized mesh size. See the following downloadable example from the COMSOL Support Knowledge Base:

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1103/

It shows how to parameterize the mesh size so that the mesh resolves the wave for varying wavelengths.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, The mesh parameters cannot depend on the space coordinates (such as x), but in version 4.1 you can use global parameters for a parameterized mesh size. See the following downloadable example from the COMSOL Support Knowledge Base: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1103/ It shows how to parameterize the mesh size so that the mesh resolves the wave for varying wavelengths. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 7:03 a.m. EST

The mesh parameters cannot depend on the space coordinates (such as x), but in version 4.1 you can use global parameters for a parameterized mesh size.

OK, but in this case the max mesh size is constant for a domain, which not I want. So I guess that in my case the only way to proceed is to make a lot of different layers of increasing mesh density.

Thank your for your answers;

Best regards,
[QUOTE] The mesh parameters cannot depend on the space coordinates (such as x), but in version 4.1 you can use global parameters for a parameterized mesh size. [/QUOTE] OK, but in this case the max mesh size is constant for a domain, which not I want. So I guess that in my case the only way to proceed is to make a lot of different layers of increasing mesh density. Thank your for your answers; Best regards,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 1:01 p.m. EST
Hi

you can use a log or exp progressing shape distribution of the nodes on the lateral edges, and like that get un uneven distribution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can use a log or exp progressing shape distribution of the nodes on the lateral edges, and like that get un uneven distribution -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.