Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

help required!!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

can any one help me in reproducing the result of the attached paper, more specifically local buckling , as i am totally lost which physics to use? and many more things?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 17, 2011, 7:56 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 7:56 a.m. EST
Hi

if you are a newbeginner with COMSOL, starting with such an example is rather tough, but having it as a goal is always a good thing, I'm sure you will manage but do expect to use some days or weeks first to learn COMSOL, otherwise you have no idea if your results are correct or not.

I believe you need structural and thermal physics, the structural toolbox should be a minimum, structural and thermal would be handy, as then most physics are ready "pre-cooked" in COMSOL.

By default material is free, unstressed, so you need to first define how you stress it (in your case thermally), how its fixed and do a stationary solver first (use v4.1 its easier, othervise I'm afraid you must also link in matlab, and the COMSOL matlab interface is far more to learn) then you might run a buckling analysis which is a transformed eigenfrequency analsis, and you then need to link in a parametric sweep to cover the different cases.

Start with simple examples first, one physics at the time, and then only couple them. Start alo in 2D its easier to learn and quicker to solve, thenyou can run 3D model when you are more familiar with the GUIs

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are a newbeginner with COMSOL, starting with such an example is rather tough, but having it as a goal is always a good thing, I'm sure you will manage but do expect to use some days or weeks first to learn COMSOL, otherwise you have no idea if your results are correct or not. I believe you need structural and thermal physics, the structural toolbox should be a minimum, structural and thermal would be handy, as then most physics are ready "pre-cooked" in COMSOL. By default material is free, unstressed, so you need to first define how you stress it (in your case thermally), how its fixed and do a stationary solver first (use v4.1 its easier, othervise I'm afraid you must also link in matlab, and the COMSOL matlab interface is far more to learn) then you might run a buckling analysis which is a transformed eigenfrequency analsis, and you then need to link in a parametric sweep to cover the different cases. Start with simple examples first, one physics at the time, and then only couple them. Start alo in 2D its easier to learn and quicker to solve, thenyou can run 3D model when you are more familiar with the GUIs -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.