Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convection in a hollow cylinder between solid domains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to simulate the heat distribution of three electrical power cables with a constant load current buried in soil with COMSOL Multiphysics 5.1.

The geometry consists of a rectangular soil and three cables in same depth with 1m outer distance between them. Each cable is laid into a protection pipe and each pipe is laid into a layer of high thermal conductivity material which is linked to the surrounding soil. It is assumed that all cylindric domains (cable, pipe, high conductive material) are arranged concentric to each other.

I'm working with the Laminar Flow Module using the Heat transfer in Solids and Fluids with stationary solver. Solid Heat transfer is already working.

My question is: How can I simulate the convection in the cylindrical protection pipe filled with air between the outer cable layer and the inner protection pipe layer ?

With Heat Flux Node it is not possible as I don't have a constant temperature on the outside (Text) thus I can only apply this Heat Flux to the limiting domains of my model (outside of the rectangular soil).

As I'm mainly interested in the thermal heating due to convection and not in the velocity or pressure distribution I hope there is another possible way to do so.

Thanks in advance

Jan

0 Replies Last Post Jan 11, 2017, 5:13 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jan Kolbe

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.