Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameters setting (3D surface)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello !

I have a question. Can I set in global definition or other places surface data ? I need input data in 3D plot (surface, in fact) with information about heat capacity (Cp), temperature (T) and magnetic field (H) for solve magnetocaloric problem.

Thanks.

5 Replies Last Post Feb 21, 2011, 5:10 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2011, 4:27 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm no sure I understand your question, but yes you can calculate or express in the Derived Values the integration over an Entitiy to extract a volume, surface, length, or coordinate ... and access the material property. normally you do this with the "solid.rho" variable name that is domain dependent (should read solid.rho"_of domain_i") you can if you know which material is which access the mat1, mat2 ... adta directly but this is very entry dependent and might change once you touch your material data of the model. While solid.rho and COMSOL internal names are linked through the respective entities they are defined on

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm no sure I understand your question, but yes you can calculate or express in the Derived Values the integration over an Entitiy to extract a volume, surface, length, or coordinate ... and access the material property. normally you do this with the "solid.rho" variable name that is domain dependent (should read solid.rho"_of domain_i") you can if you know which material is which access the mat1, mat2 ... adta directly but this is very entry dependent and might change once you touch your material data of the model. While solid.rho and COMSOL internal names are linked through the respective entities they are defined on -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2011, 10:25 a.m. EST
Hello!
You don't understand my question. I want to solve thermo-magnetic problem. Relative permeability (mur) in each piece of solid body depends on two arguments - temperature (T, [K]) and magnetic field (H, [A/m]). How can I input that dependence (3D surface show on picture in attachment) in table data? We have all data, but don't know how and where input this data.
Thanks.
Hello! You don't understand my question. I want to solve thermo-magnetic problem. Relative permeability (mur) in each piece of solid body depends on two arguments - temperature (T, [K]) and magnetic field (H, [A/m]). How can I input that dependence (3D surface show on picture in attachment) in table data? We have all data, but don't know how and where input this data. Thanks.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2011, 10:54 a.m. EST
Hi

Indeed I did not ;) well in both 3.5 and 4 you need to add an interpolated function based on table grid (or an analytical function of that is possible) , Either as a specific material or as a function and referring to that material domain in the physics settings

the COMSOL Multiphysics Definitions Functions help section gives more detail (as well as the doc v4.1, similar for 3.5)

I could not find any examples in the material library of materials set up with two variables and a interpolation table, only two variables linked by an analytical function. Anyhow looking at the material database (i.e. gases) is a good way to learn

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed I did not ;) well in both 3.5 and 4 you need to add an interpolated function based on table grid (or an analytical function of that is possible) , Either as a specific material or as a function and referring to that material domain in the physics settings the COMSOL Multiphysics Definitions Functions help section gives more detail (as well as the doc v4.1, similar for 3.5) I could not find any examples in the material library of materials set up with two variables and a interpolation table, only two variables linked by an analytical function. Anyhow looking at the material database (i.e. gases) is a good way to learn -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 6:31 a.m. EST

But I have new question :) . I create Interpolation in Function of Material. (Function -> Interpolation). Choose from File -> Speadsheet. Table in file have some data:
x;y;Cp
12;12;67
34;34;56
45;23;34
56;12;1
These data do not reflect the real characteristics, it is just an example.
When I make mark "Use space coordinates as arguments" COMSOL do not create plot, and if I make unmark this parameters COMSOL create plot. What's wrong ?
Can I make in Spreadsheet surface (table data) where T and H will be as argument (Cp(T,H)) and will be define in model ?
Do you understand my questions?
Sorry, my english not so good :) ...

Thanks.
Thanks :) But I have new question :) . I create Interpolation in Function of Material. (Function -> Interpolation). Choose from File -> Speadsheet. Table in file have some data: x;y;Cp 12;12;67 34;34;56 45;23;34 56;12;1 These data do not reflect the real characteristics, it is just an example. When I make mark "Use space coordinates as arguments" COMSOL do not create plot, and if I make unmark this parameters COMSOL create plot. What's wrong ? Can I make in Spreadsheet surface (table data) where T and H will be as argument (Cp(T,H)) and will be define in model ? Do you understand my questions? Sorry, my english not so good :) ... Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 5:10 p.m. EST
Hi

Indeed this is how I would start, as youre function Cp(T,H) is not dependent on any space coordinates I would leave the tick off. Check the doc to get the order / mapping correct (I too need to reread and exercice it each time I use it)

Normally you can then use your function with two scalar variables (other than x,y)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed this is how I would start, as youre function Cp(T,H) is not dependent on any space coordinates I would leave the tick off. Check the doc to get the order / mapping correct (I too need to reread and exercice it each time I use it) Normally you can then use your function with two scalar variables (other than x,y) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.