Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where is the error of my model ? (model file has been attached)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Only the PDE physic was used, the error notice were as follows, details about the model (V4.0) please see the attachment. Thank you!

ERROR:
Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
There are 50188 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable mod1.theta
at coordinates: (-0.005,-0.005), (-0.005,-0.00495), (-0.005,-0.0049), (-0.00496745,-0.0049161), (-0.0049349,-0.0049322), ...
and similarly for the degrees of freedom, NaN/Inf in the matrix columns

5 Replies Last Post Feb 21, 2011, 5:20 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2011, 4:33 p.m. EST
Hi

My understanding is that such errors occure if you have not defined enough (or fully independent) boundary conditions, COMSOL accepts only a coherehnt set such to receive a single solution. It is not set-up to handle muliple simultaneous solutions of the PDE

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My understanding is that such errors occure if you have not defined enough (or fully independent) boundary conditions, COMSOL accepts only a coherehnt set such to receive a single solution. It is not set-up to handle muliple simultaneous solutions of the PDE -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2011, 8:05 p.m. EST

Hi

My understanding is that such errors occure if you have not defined enough (or fully independent) boundary conditions, COMSOL accepts only a coherehnt set such to receive a single solution. It is not set-up to handle muliple simultaneous solutions of the PDE

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar! You mean, there are two equations in a PDE physic but only one set of boundary conditions? So, I added another physics, Heat transfer (ht), because the second equation is heat transfer equation with heat source term. But same errors still occurred.
[QUOTE] Hi My understanding is that such errors occure if you have not defined enough (or fully independent) boundary conditions, COMSOL accepts only a coherehnt set such to receive a single solution. It is not set-up to handle muliple simultaneous solutions of the PDE -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank you, Ivar! You mean, there are two equations in a PDE physic but only one set of boundary conditions? So, I added another physics, Heat transfer (ht), because the second equation is heat transfer equation with heat source term. But same errors still occurred.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 1:30 a.m. EST
Hi

adding physics is one thing, but you need to give sufficient restrictive boundary conditions else there are many (infinite) number of solutions and your matrices are not fully populated. That is my understanding of your error message.

Check if you do not need to add some further limitations on the boundaries

You should get hands on the book of Zimmermann (its for 3.3 but fully adaptable to 4) see the main web site book references

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi adding physics is one thing, but you need to give sufficient restrictive boundary conditions else there are many (infinite) number of solutions and your matrices are not fully populated. That is my understanding of your error message. Check if you do not need to add some further limitations on the boundaries You should get hands on the book of Zimmermann (its for 3.3 but fully adaptable to 4) see the main web site book references -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 8:50 a.m. EST

Hi

adding physics is one thing, but you need to give sufficient restrictive boundary conditions else there are many (infinite) number of solutions and your matrices are not fully populated. That is my understanding of your error message.

Check if you do not need to add some further limitations on the boundaries

You should get hands on the book of Zimmermann (its for 3.3 but fully adaptable to 4) see the main web site book references

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar. Do you refer to this book:
Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods (Series on Stability, Vibration and Control of Systems: Series a)
[QUOTE] Hi adding physics is one thing, but you need to give sufficient restrictive boundary conditions else there are many (infinite) number of solutions and your matrices are not fully populated. That is my understanding of your error message. Check if you do not need to add some further limitations on the boundaries You should get hands on the book of Zimmermann (its for 3.3 but fully adaptable to 4) see the main web site book references -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank you, Ivar. Do you refer to this book: Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods (Series on Stability, Vibration and Control of Systems: Series a)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 5:20 p.m. EST
Hi

indeed this one, I'm sure they have it in a local library (books are becoming expensive to buy these days). I find it very usefull, unfortunately it's written fr 3.3 but most of the examples are traightforward to implement in v4

www.comsol.eu/support/books/mmwfem/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed this one, I'm sure they have it in a local library (books are becoming expensive to buy these days). I find it very usefull, unfortunately it's written fr 3.3 but most of the examples are traightforward to implement in v4 http://www.comsol.eu/support/books/mmwfem/ -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.