Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary condition question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a diaphragm welded to the edge of a hollow cylinder. The weld seam is only 50um thick. However in my model the diaphragm and the hollow cylinder share a common boundary which is equal to the thickness of the cylinder wall (300um).
I want comsol to simulate the diaphragm being pinned at its edge but comsol takes it as the diaphragm being pinned across the entire 300um boundary being shared between the cylinder and the diaphragm (look at the image attached for a clearer picture). How do I set up the boundary conditions for this type of problem.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 21, 2011, 5:26 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 5:26 p.m. EST
Hi

by default in "union" geometry Finish mode all common interiour boundaries are respecting "continuity". In your case you must either make a small air path of (300-50)um to avoid the common border. Or use assembly mode and cut your boundary at 50um to set an continuity identity pair along the 50 um welded region, and a contact pair for the rest of the common border. But be aware that such contact models require often some fine tuning of the solver

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by default in "union" geometry Finish mode all common interiour boundaries are respecting "continuity". In your case you must either make a small air path of (300-50)um to avoid the common border. Or use assembly mode and cut your boundary at 50um to set an continuity identity pair along the 50 um welded region, and a contact pair for the rest of the common border. But be aware that such contact models require often some fine tuning of the solver -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.