Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Penetration depth of a waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is there an easy and simple way to find the penetration depth of a waveguide? In other words, beyond the boundary condition, how can I find the Efield without creating another object and making the simulations for that as well?

Thanks,
Damla

2 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2014, 7:36 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2011, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Hi

outside "the last" domain you will have no mesh, hence nothing to use to solve your equations, so for me the only way around is to use Matlab to get the field on the boundary and perform some kind of propagation calculation (whatever you need).
But then, why not add a domain and finish it out in COMSOL ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi outside "the last" domain you will have no mesh, hence nothing to use to solve your equations, so for me the only way around is to use Matlab to get the field on the boundary and perform some kind of propagation calculation (whatever you need). But then, why not add a domain and finish it out in COMSOL ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 1, 2014, 7:36 a.m. EDT
BUT if the material in which the penetration occurs is included, how can I calculate the 1/e penetration depth (in y-direction along the x=0 line)?

how do I find the y coordinate which satisfies E0*exp(-1)=emw.normE
BUT if the material in which the penetration occurs is included, how can I calculate the 1/e penetration depth (in y-direction along the x=0 line)? how do I find the y coordinate which satisfies E0*exp(-1)=emw.normE

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.