Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Slice plot help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm simulating pressure variations (using acoustics module) inside a sphere of water and air and am encountering a problem with the slice plot.

My model is set up as follows:

Geometry consists of two concentric spheres with the shell being the fluid content and the inner sphere being empty.
The inner boundaries are all given spherical pressure radiation with Po= 50*sin(t*x[1/t]) where x is some desired frequency.

Problem:

For x=1 the slice plot shows up with plausible values along with a surface plot.

For different x values, the surface plot shows up but the slice plot just shows an empty wire rendering of my geometry with no values.

Thanks

Edit: The slice plot seems to work if I have it under 3D plot group 1 but not under 3D plot group 2. Any reason why this is so?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 18, 2011, 7:10 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2011, 12:57 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am not familiar with your model, but when it comes to the surface plot in comsol 4.0, did you mean the slice plot (3D) or the surface plot (2D). I guess you meant the surface plot (2D)?

In this case, you need first to define a "2D plane" in the "dataset" (Not sure about the exact name for dataset, it's somewhere under the Results tree), then use "2D surface", and need to choose the defined "2D plane", this will give the correct result.

Hope this helps.

XLi
Hi, I am not familiar with your model, but when it comes to the surface plot in comsol 4.0, did you mean the slice plot (3D) or the surface plot (2D). I guess you meant the surface plot (2D)? In this case, you need first to define a "2D plane" in the "dataset" (Not sure about the exact name for dataset, it's somewhere under the Results tree), then use "2D surface", and need to choose the defined "2D plane", this will give the correct result. Hope this helps. XLi

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2011, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Thanks.

I meant the 3D slice plot but I see that this is similar. It's a nice way to get just one slice but I'd like to see more than one at a time (like the 3D plot would show).

For some reason the 3D slice works under "3D Plot Group1" but not under "3D Plot Group 2".
Thanks. I meant the 3D slice plot but I see that this is similar. It's a nice way to get just one slice but I'd like to see more than one at a time (like the 3D plot would show). For some reason the 3D slice works under "3D Plot Group1" but not under "3D Plot Group 2".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.