Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating attraction force between coil and permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

as stated in the topic my intention is to simulate the attraction force on an electromagnet induced by the field of a surounding coil. So far I was able to simulate both fields seperately with the Magnetic Fields respectively Magnetic Fields, No Currents physics. Now my question is how to merge both physics to one single magnetic field and calculate the force on the magnet ? Please give me some suggestions how to proceed. Btw, I am running Comsol v4.1 on my machine.

Thanks in advance
Matthias

2 Replies Last Post Apr 12, 2011, 4:54 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2011, 5:21 a.m. EDT
Hi

I would make a new model with only MF (one complex physics), try to not start to use MEF as its far more heavy, adding in V and the mutual coupling. You can always define currents in MF to generate your fields. Once you are fully happy with MF, you can always try to use MEF (for the full model) and why not also couple in CIR ;)

Try it out one step at the time, its easier and at the end far faster

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would make a new model with only MF (one complex physics), try to not start to use MEF as its far more heavy, adding in V and the mutual coupling. You can always define currents in MF to generate your fields. Once you are fully happy with MF, you can always try to use MEF (for the full model) and why not also couple in CIR ;) Try it out one step at the time, its easier and at the end far faster -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 12, 2011, 4:54 a.m. EDT
Hey,

thanks for your reply. I have to admit that I didn't get your point ! How can I model the field induced by the magnet inside the MF physics (for this purpose I used the MFNC) ? During a search through the available options, I found nothing suitable. Can you give me some further details regarding this ?

Thanks
Matthias
Hey, thanks for your reply. I have to admit that I didn't get your point ! How can I model the field induced by the magnet inside the MF physics (for this purpose I used the MFNC) ? During a search through the available options, I found nothing suitable. Can you give me some further details regarding this ? Thanks Matthias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.