Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary condition - inlet - outlet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey people

I have a 3D reservoir model, at which I would like to define an inlet and an outlet, I found out that in COMSOL 4.0, there is no way to select edges of model and assign hydraulic head, but to assign pressure or mass flux, so I simply try assigning viscosity (field data) as mass flux, with mass flux = 0 at the outlet, and mass flux = 0.0003 at the inlet (looks kinda strange huh?), I appreciate if someone knows how to select an edge and assign hydraulic head instead. Or, any better ideas how to define an inlet and an outlet?

On the other hand, I also wana assign no flow boundary and obviously I couldnt select edges, again. Any alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!!

2 Replies Last Post Apr 12, 2011, 4:39 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 11, 2011, 2:53 p.m. EDT
Hi

but how can you define an inlet on an edge in 3D ? you have no section to enter any fluid on a 3D edge ?
In 3D you define the inlet / outlet on the boundaries (surfaces in 3D) and not on 3rd level entities.
Or have I missed something here ?

You can only assign an inlet on a 2D edge = a boundary, as this represent an area with the implicit 3rd dimension (out of paper) generally called "thickness"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but how can you define an inlet on an edge in 3D ? you have no section to enter any fluid on a 3D edge ? In 3D you define the inlet / outlet on the boundaries (surfaces in 3D) and not on 3rd level entities. Or have I missed something here ? You can only assign an inlet on a 2D edge = a boundary, as this represent an area with the implicit 3rd dimension (out of paper) generally called "thickness" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 12, 2011, 4:39 a.m. EDT
Hi

Thanks a lot for your point of view, I hereby attach my 3D geometry model, at which I have 7 geological layers that I would like to assign one of the 4 edges as inlet, for each of them. I did check out laminar flow\inlet before, but I gona put in more efforts on that again :)
Appreciate if you do have some insight. Many thanks!!

regards
Hi Thanks a lot for your point of view, I hereby attach my 3D geometry model, at which I have 7 geological layers that I would like to assign one of the 4 edges as inlet, for each of them. I did check out laminar flow\inlet before, but I gona put in more efforts on that again :) Appreciate if you do have some insight. Many thanks!! regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.