Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

domain plot in 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In my result for deformation, I get the entire results of the assembly consisting of many domains. I want to visualize the deformation in only one domain while surpressing/hiding the rest. In comsol 3.5 that was quite straight forward. But I do not know how to do so in comsol 4.1

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Susant

11 Replies Last Post May 11, 2011, 2:19 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:33 p.m. EDT
It's easy in 4.1 too. See User's Guide, version 4.1, page 185.
It's easy in 4.1 too. See User's Guide, version 4.1, page 185.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:49 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I follwed the instructions in pp185. It works in the geometry mode. I can hide/unhide any selected domain. After hiding it in geometry mode, when I go to plotgroup, it shows all domains and not just the selected domain. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Susant
Hi, I follwed the instructions in pp185. It works in the geometry mode. I can hide/unhide any selected domain. After hiding it in geometry mode, when I go to plotgroup, it shows all domains and not just the selected domain. What am I doing wrong? Regards, Susant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 2:22 p.m. EDT
It could be a number of things.

- The first thing to ask yourself is whether you are plotting on the entity level that you hid. For instance, in 3D, if you hid solids but your plots are surface plots then those plots will be unaffected by your hiding of the solids; instead you would need to hide boundaries.

- The second possible source of user error is that there are two ways to hide "stuff" in v4: in each View, you can "hide geometric entities" or you can "hide geometry objects". Hiding geometry objects only affects what you see when you are working on the geometry node. So to hide stuff in postprocessing, make sure that you are hiding geometric entities.
It could be a number of things. - The first thing to ask yourself is whether you are plotting on the entity level that you hid. For instance, in 3D, if you hid solids but your plots are surface plots then those plots will be unaffected by your hiding of the solids; instead you would need to hide boundaries. - The second possible source of user error is that there are two ways to hide "stuff" in v4: in each View, you can "hide geometric entities" or you can "hide geometry objects". Hiding geometry objects only affects what you see when you are working on the geometry node. So to hide stuff in postprocessing, make sure that you are hiding geometric entities.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2011, 4:55 p.m. EDT
Hi Jean,

I was successful in plotting specific domain in splice, isosurface mode etc. However in surface mode, it always takes all domains. Is it deliberate in COMSOL or a bug?

Regards,
Susant
Hi Jean, I was successful in plotting specific domain in splice, isosurface mode etc. However in surface mode, it always takes all domains. Is it deliberate in COMSOL or a bug? Regards, Susant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2011, 4:58 p.m. EDT
Post your model and I can take a look at it.
Post your model and I can take a look at it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2011, 5:15 p.m. EDT
Hi

could it be that in 3D surface view you are in fact visualising boundaries, so you should hide the boundaries and not the domains ?

Another way is to select a domain as a selection list, and export on output only external surfaces, then you can call the selection list and forget abut clicking all boundaries, of a given domain

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi could it be that in 3D surface view you are in fact visualising boundaries, so you should hide the boundaries and not the domains ? Another way is to select a domain as a selection list, and export on output only external surfaces, then you can call the selection list and forget abut clicking all boundaries, of a given domain -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 1:59 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I have attached the model for your reference.

Regards,
Susant
Hi, I have attached the model for your reference. Regards, Susant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 8:32 a.m. EDT
Hiding a geometric entity is done through the Model1>Definitions>Views>Hide Geometric Entities node.
You don't seem to have hidden any part of your model in the file you posted, at least not in the fashion described above.
Hiding a geometric entity is done through the Model1>Definitions>Views>Hide Geometric Entities node. You don't seem to have hidden any part of your model in the file you posted, at least not in the fashion described above.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 1:11 p.m. EDT
Hi Jean,

Actuaally, I had tried it without success. I had created a view2 and hid geometrical entities. and in 3D plot group, I chose view2. but it did not change any thing for the surface plot. I am attaching that revised version.

Regards,
Susant
Hi Jean, Actuaally, I had tried it without success. I had created a view2 and hid geometrical entities. and in 3D plot group, I chose view2. but it did not change any thing for the surface plot. I am attaching that revised version. Regards, Susant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 1:41 p.m. EDT
Hi Susant,

It did nothing in the surface plot for the exact reason that Ivar and I warned you about earlier, namely you have hidden domains but not boundaries. If you want something not plotted on boundaries, then it is the boundaries that should be hidden, not the corresponding domains.

Jean-Francois
Hi Susant, It did nothing in the surface plot for the exact reason that Ivar and I warned you about earlier, namely you have hidden domains but not boundaries. If you want something not plotted on boundaries, then it is the boundaries that should be hidden, not the corresponding domains. Jean-Francois

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 2:19 p.m. EDT
Hi Jean and Ivar,

AH! I got it! Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
Susant
Hi Jean and Ivar, AH! I got it! Thanks for your patience! Regards, Susant

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.