Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A very, very simple problem, little help: calculating magnetic field due to two intensity spots.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody:

I have just bought COMSOL 4.1 with AC/DC Module.
To start to interact with the software, I would like to solve the following problem:

I would like to calculate the magnetic field (B oder H) in the air due to two intensities in a 2D plane.

1) To do this I have chosen as MODEL WIZARD a 2D axisymmetric as space dimension.

2) As GEOMETRY, I have a square with air and inside two points located near the central axis (r=0) and I want to set these two points with two different intensity values (in Ampères,[A]).

3) As MATERIALS, I have used air inside this square.

4) As PHYSICS, I have used the "Magnetic and Electric fields (mef) model".

Now, I need to put the values of these two intensity points and later the boundary values on the square's sides except the one that is located on the axi simmetry (r=0). But I don't have ide how to manage it.

|-----------------------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
| * * |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_______________________|
(r=0)

Above it is represented my domain with the two points of intensity described by *.

Could someone help me, please?
I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Isabel.

2 Replies Last Post May 11, 2011, 12:16 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 12:03 p.m. EDT
Isabel,

an 'intensity' in Amperes would be a current I. So, you could define two circles at the location of those points and assign the external current density rhoI = I/a, with a being the area of the circles. This creates two ring currents.

But I am not completely sure if this is what you want.

Cheers
Edgar
Isabel, an 'intensity' in Amperes would be a current I. So, you could define two circles at the location of those points and assign the external current density rhoI = I/a, with a being the area of the circles. This creates two ring currents. But I am not completely sure if this is what you want. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2011, 12:16 p.m. EDT
Thank-you for your reply.

sorry for having used the word "intensity" where I wanted to use "current". I have mixed up Spanish with English, sorry again.

Yes, I am trying to create two small circles and later to apply "Difference" from "Geometry->Boolean Operations" in order to remove the circles' areas from the square area, but I don't get the correct result, perhaps because the circles are two small... could it be possible?

Again, thanks and sorry!

Best regards,
Isabel.
Thank-you for your reply. sorry for having used the word "intensity" where I wanted to use "current". I have mixed up Spanish with English, sorry again. Yes, I am trying to create two small circles and later to apply "Difference" from "Geometry->Boolean Operations" in order to remove the circles' areas from the square area, but I don't get the correct result, perhaps because the circles are two small... could it be possible? Again, thanks and sorry! Best regards, Isabel.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.