Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange Effect with Dirichlet BC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I using the general form PDE to model a system. The geometry is very simple, just a single rectangle, with a Dirichlet condition on one sides (I add more physics in the full simulation but can reproduce these effects without other physics).

Everything works fine unless I add two smaller rectangles adjacent to the main rectangle on the side with BC. When I do this, the solution becomes non-physical and much different than without these smaller rectangles. I do not have even have to apply the PDE physics to these new domains to get this effect. If I add a small "buffer" layer between the small rectangles and the main one, the effect goes away, but this will affect the other physics of the model that I have to add later.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post May 22, 2011, 5:06 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2011, 11:46 a.m. EDT
Hard to say anything without seeing the model itself. Could you attach it?
Hard to say anything without seeing the model itself. Could you attach it?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2011, 5:06 p.m. EDT
I actually figured it out. I was trying to reproduce the results from the ground up to give you a cleaner example, and discovered it was the mesh. When adding the rectangles, the boundary becomes segmented, which changes the way I had to implement the mapped mesh. You can see the two examples below (mesh1 is wrong, mesh2 is right). The quantity u1 should be constant throughout the domain.
I actually figured it out. I was trying to reproduce the results from the ground up to give you a cleaner example, and discovered it was the mesh. When adding the rectangles, the boundary becomes segmented, which changes the way I had to implement the mapped mesh. You can see the two examples below (mesh1 is wrong, mesh2 is right). The quantity u1 should be constant throughout the domain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.