Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC Module Synchronous Motor (PMSM) simulation, time-dependent, ALE moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm doing a PMSM motor simulation in COMSOL 3.5. Our simulation provides false results.

1. If we define the real material properties for stator and rotor core, only the mur=4000 value works, the given HB table not. I found some topics here dealing with this issue, but can't find any solution or explanation of it. Can you give me some advice/suggestion in it?

2. Using the mur=4000 constant value, our rotor slows down (from the initialized operational speed). We made everything the same as in the tutorials (generator case). So is it possible to simulate the excitation effect for the rotor and simulate the "locked" position taking into account the loading moment at all?

And a last question about the physics, what does symmetric matrix mean from the perspective of the FEM/EMAG simulations? Is it possible to avoid unsymmetric matrices in all cases, and how does it depend on the boundary conditions?

Thank you in advance,

Attila

4 Replies Last Post Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 9:41 a.m. EDT
Hi,

i'm doing the same project. i would suggest you to use 4.1. i had once problem with B-Mur and B-H material properties, but now i can choose one of them in the FE simulation. I hope it can answer your 1st question.

have you also calculated hysteresis loss ?

regards
akmal
Hi, i'm doing the same project. i would suggest you to use 4.1. i had once problem with B-Mur and B-H material properties, but now i can choose one of them in the FE simulation. I hope it can answer your 1st question. have you also calculated hysteresis loss ? regards akmal

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 9:45 a.m. EDT
Hi,

so you have solved your problem by switching to 4.1? I have no license for that :(

Currently I'm working on the basic phenomenons of that motor, so losses are not taken into account.

I'm very interested in your simulation, can you suggest me how to get out of these troubles?
Are you doing transient simulations using ALE? How do you define the torque acting on the rotating parts?

Thanks
Hi, so you have solved your problem by switching to 4.1? I have no license for that :( Currently I'm working on the basic phenomenons of that motor, so losses are not taken into account. I'm very interested in your simulation, can you suggest me how to get out of these troubles? Are you doing transient simulations using ALE? How do you define the torque acting on the rotating parts? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 10:01 a.m. EDT
Hi

www.comsol.nl/papers/1669/download/Benetti.pdf
please read 5. remarks of comsol usage. he explains better

instead of using BH or HB curve, try to use B-Mur.

I'm simulating it as generator without (not yet) torque analysis by defining rotational velocity of rotor.

just try to get trial license of 4.1

regards
akmal
Hi www.comsol.nl/papers/1669/download/Benetti.pdf please read 5. remarks of comsol usage. he explains better instead of using BH or HB curve, try to use B-Mur. I'm simulating it as generator without (not yet) torque analysis by defining rotational velocity of rotor. just try to get trial license of 4.1 regards akmal

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 7, 2011, 10:13 a.m. EDT
Thanks!

Currently I have problems to get the correct B-Mur values, but I will give it a try.

Otherwise, I define the rotation angle as a global equation calculated from the torque measured on the rotating parts, so the rotating field and its effect rotates the rotor :)) huh. If I define the moving part as rotate_CCW with a prescribed angular velocity (or moment it's the same) it works.

Thank you again!
Thanks! Currently I have problems to get the correct B-Mur values, but I will give it a try. Otherwise, I define the rotation angle as a global equation calculated from the torque measured on the rotating parts, so the rotating field and its effect rotates the rotor :)) huh. If I define the moving part as rotate_CCW with a prescribed angular velocity (or moment it's the same) it works. Thank you again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.