Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A question about the PDE mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to solve two coupled PDEs, both of them can be written in General Form. What's the difference between these two methods below?
1. create one General Form PDE interface with two dependent variables
2. create two General Form PDE interfaces, and each interface contains one dependent varibale

3 Replies Last Post Jun 27, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EDT
Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 25, 2011, 8:56 a.m. EDT
Hi

There is no difference between the two methods from an equation point of view.

Method number 1 will most likely be the easiest to work with, especially for equations that are very dependent on each other. However, methods number 2 lets you choose different shape functions for the two dependent variables and you will also be able to choose to solve only one equartion at a time.

Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi There is no difference between the two methods from an equation point of view. Method number 1 will most likely be the easiest to work with, especially for equations that are very dependent on each other. However, methods number 2 lets you choose different shape functions for the two dependent variables and you will also be able to choose to solve only one equartion at a time. Lars Gregersen Comsol Denmark

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 27, 2011, 2:11 a.m. EDT
sir, can u tell me how to input a coupled PDE in comsol 4.0

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 27, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EDT

What's your PDE like? If you are a new user, you'd better find an example in the model library to become familiar with the operation.
[QUOTE] sir, can u tell me how to input a coupled PDE in comsol 4.0 [/QUOTE] What's your PDE like? If you are a new user, you'd better find an example in the model library to become familiar with the operation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.