Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Characteristic impedance or Lumped port impedance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

There are some parameters in Comsol RF module which are unclear to me.

To understand this question I created a very simple example: - coaxial cable of 50 Ohm impedance, perfect electric conductor, L=0.75m; - lumped port 1 with wave excitation; - lumped port 2 terminating the line at the end, - Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain.

Characteristic impedance is a value specified for a lumped port. Lumped port impedance is emw.Zport_1 calculated in Results -> Derived values -> Global evaluation .

So the question is, what those two values mean?

I expected the Lumped port impedance to be the impedance of the lumped port, but apparently it is not :D

Example 1: f0 = 100MHz, Z1 = 50 Ohm (Characteristic impedance for the port 1), Z2 = 50 Ohm (Characteristic impedance for the port 2). Results: S11 = -3.5e-4+8e-6i - zero reflection (matched case), emw.Zport_1 = 49.979+6e-4i - equal to Z1.

Example 2: f0 = 100MHz, Z1 = 25 Ohm (Characteristic impedance for the port 1), Z2 = 50 Ohm (Characteristic impedance for the port 2). Results: S11 = 0.33+7e-6i - finite reflection for unmatched case, corresponding to , emw.Zport_1 = 49.979+6e-4i - not equal to Z1, but equal to the coaxial impedance and port 2.

It seems that Lumped port impedance (emw.Zport_1) is not the impedance of the port itself, but impedance of all elements together which are after the port. It seems also that Characteristic impedance is indeed the impedance of the port, even though Comsol provides a confusing name for it.

If someone knows exactly the definitions of the discussed parameters, please help me with this question.

Mari

4 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2018, 4:38 p.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Oct 11, 2018, 8:59 a.m. EDT

Mari,

your interpretation is exactly correct. You can also put it like this:

• Characteristic port impedance is the impedance of the external source that is connected to the port
  • emw.Zport_n is the impedance of the model at the location of the port.

This allows to calculate S-parameters with regard to a certain reference impedance.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Mari, your interpretation is exactly correct. You can also put it like this: - Characteristic port impedance is the impedance of the external source that is connected to the port - emw.Zport_n is the impedance of the model at the location of the port. This allows to calculate S-parameters with regard to a certain reference impedance. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago Oct 11, 2018, 9:27 a.m. EDT

Thank you Edgar.

Thank you Edgar.

Posted: 5 years ago Dec 12, 2018, 3:45 a.m. EST

Dear Sir Edgar, How to compute the S11 parameter in coaxial cable? The calculation of S parameter did not plotted in the graph of S parameter against frequency.

Dear Sir Edgar, How to compute the S11 parameter in coaxial cable? The calculation of S parameter did not plotted in the graph of S parameter against frequency.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Dec 12, 2018, 4:38 p.m. EST

There is no expression in the global plot.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
There is no expression in the global plot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.