Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact pair problem on Comsol4.2 (without Strutural Mechanics module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am a novice user of Comsol4.2 (without structural mechanics module). I have a structural mechanics Contact Pair problem on a very simple model.

The model consists of examining the stress distributions and deformation of a 2D system, where a smaller rectangle is put on top of a bigger rectangle, and the smaller rectangle is given a normal, downward boundary load.

Having checked that all the other boundary conditions are fine, the problem comes when I set the contact pair boundary of the 2 rectangles as "free" , Model->Solid Mechanics-> Pairs->free. By doing so, comsol automatically "fixes" the relative tangential movement of the touching pairs, which is not what I wanted. On the other hand, if I chose the "roller" feature, Model->Solid Mechanics-> Pairs->roller, it forces the pair to not have any movement in the normal direction, which is also not what I wanted.

I have attached the .mph file just in case my description is not clear enough.

If someone could help me out, it would be great! Thanks in advance.

TB.

1 Reply Last Post Jul 26, 2011, 2:58 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 2:58 p.m. EDT
just in case.. I am using the stationary mode of the basic structural mechanics, the objects being linear elastic....
just in case.. I am using the stationary mode of the basic structural mechanics, the objects being linear elastic....

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.