Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using a tesselated surface as an interface in a solid for solid mechanics analysis.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Community and COMSOL Employees,

I have a 3D scanned volume of a carotid artery, and seperate volumes of calcifications and other constituents, these are not mutually exclusive so some might overlap slightly due to thresholding artifacts. They are sometimes quite complex which causes problems. I tried to do Union operations with all the seperate constituents as to get 1 final geometry with internal boundaries where the material properties should change. However the last union did not go through and gave me the internal error in geometry decomposition. I am aware that some smoothing could help alleviate this issue but I do not want to revert to this just yet, as that will compromise accuracy.

Is there a way to not actively form a union with these constituents, but to load the surfaces of these constituents in as a boundary and using those boundaries to "separate" the vessel from the constituents and applying material properties and boundary conditions to that boundary?

I would add the .mph file if I could but due to the nature of the structure, the files are too big.

Kind Regards, Max

0 Replies Last Post Nov 12, 2018, 9:01 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Max van Wanrooij

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.