Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact pairs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I am trying to simulate conduction and convection heat transfer. Can I consider the fluid solid interaction boundary as a contact pair? [ As we now from comsol that we can consider the contact surfaces between two different solids as a pair.] After that from physics menu- boundary settings we can set the contact pair boundary condition as thin thermally resistive layer after that we can add thickness and layer thermal conductivity.
The question if that possible which thermal conductivity we should choose?
I hope my question is clear!

2 Replies Last Post Sep 9, 2011, 3:40 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 a.m. EDT
Hi I cannot remeber how it was in 3.5 but I beleive (do not have access to my COMSOl just now) that you can add a thin resisitve layer on internal boundaries in V4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot remeber how it was in 3.5 but I beleive (do not have access to my COMSOl just now) that you can add a thin resisitve layer on internal boundaries in V4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 9, 2011, 3:40 a.m. EDT
Thank you Ivar,
I had added that thin resistive layer and I've got results. One parameters of this thin resistive layer is thermal conductivity. Which thermal conductivity should I add, for liquid or fluid? I've tried both and the results are similar. Second in comsol documentaions pairs is used between two different contact solids, i.e., to mimic the small gap betweent solids due to surface roughness? My main question is: Is physically correct in COMSOL to use pairs to simulate the convection process occurs near solid boundary?

Thanks Ivar
Thank you Ivar, I had added that thin resistive layer and I've got results. One parameters of this thin resistive layer is thermal conductivity. Which thermal conductivity should I add, for liquid or fluid? I've tried both and the results are similar. Second in comsol documentaions pairs is used between two different contact solids, i.e., to mimic the small gap betweent solids due to surface roughness? My main question is: Is physically correct in COMSOL to use pairs to simulate the convection process occurs near solid boundary? Thanks Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.