Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is the notation for normal unit vector represented in COMSOL 4.2?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to represent the normal unit vector in COMSOL 4.2? e.g., n=(nx, ny, nz).

I need to impose a normal displacement field in the electrostatics module. However, in COMSOL 4.2, I only find the option to impose the x, y, and z components of the displacment field (see the attached picture). If I know the built-in notation for (nx, ny, nz), I can impose this boundary condition easily.

Thanks,

Hainan

1 Reply Last Post Sep 9, 2011, 2:33 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 9, 2011, 2:33 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you checked the doc about the naming convention of the surface normals ?

Furthermore, you can use a boundary coordinate system, on your image I see the default cartesian one as selected, then you have the expression in surface normal and surface tangenatials. In case you have no other coordinate system , you can make one, just be careful to correctly understand the frame conventions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the doc about the naming convention of the surface normals ? Furthermore, you can use a boundary coordinate system, on your image I see the default cartesian one as selected, then you have the expression in surface normal and surface tangenatials. In case you have no other coordinate system , you can make one, just be careful to correctly understand the frame conventions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.