Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ultrasound simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Has anyone tried to implement their own wave/scattering equations (w/o the Acoustic module) to simulate ultrasound scattering?

4 Replies Last Post Mar 4, 2012, 6:20 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 24, 2009, 1:30 p.m. EDT
Why not use the COMSOL acoustic module?
Why not use the COMSOL acoustic module?

Riccardo M.G. Ferrari

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 26, 2009, 4:01 a.m. EDT
Are you interested in ultrasound propagation in air or in solids ? As far as linear solids are concerned, I guess you can implement easily the Navier equation (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_elasticity or mathworld.wolfram.com/NaviersEquation.html ), that isanyway already implemented in the Structural Mechanics Module of Comsol.

I was able to modify the default implementation of this equations in the StructuralMechanics Module of Comsol in order to introduce the acoustoelastic effect.

Best

R.M.G. Ferrari
Are you interested in ultrasound propagation in air or in solids ? As far as linear solids are concerned, I guess you can implement easily the Navier equation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_elasticity or http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NaviersEquation.html ), that isanyway already implemented in the Structural Mechanics Module of Comsol. I was able to modify the default implementation of this equations in the StructuralMechanics Module of Comsol in order to introduce the acoustoelastic effect. Best R.M.G. Ferrari

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 28, 2009, 3:08 p.m. EDT
Has anyone actually created an acoustic band structure plot using the acoustics module... if so I would buy you a burrito if you shared!
Has anyone actually created an acoustic band structure plot using the acoustics module... if so I would buy you a burrito if you shared!

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2012, 6:20 a.m. EST
Hi Riccardo,

I also want to stimulate a combination of oil and water by using ultrsound waves in COMSOL. Can you please share your model with me for having an understanding how did you implement and upgrade the Navier's equation.

Thanks for any help.
Hi Riccardo, I also want to stimulate a combination of oil and water by using ultrsound waves in COMSOL. Can you please share your model with me for having an understanding how did you implement and upgrade the Navier's equation. Thanks for any help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.