Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric power

Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi! all
I have designed the piezoelectric energy harvester structure in COMSOL. I have doubt regarding finding power. I found that current will be obtained by integrating the current density. Here is my doubt, generally to get power is to multiply voltage and current, but in COMSOL we will get open circuit voltage and current. In this situation it is right way to multiply open circuit voltage and current to get power without load. Another doubt is that I tried to connect the resistor to my piezo model through SPICE netlist but it is not working. Please clarify my doubts and grateful to help me.

Thank You
Jagan

10 Replies Last Post Dec 30, 2013, 12:06 a.m. EST
Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2011, 10:30 p.m. EDT
hi!

I tried to connect the resistor to a piezo model, but it is not working. Please help me in SPICE netlist.

Thanks,
Jagan
hi! I tried to connect the resistor to a piezo model, but it is not working. Please help me in SPICE netlist. Thanks, Jagan

Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 12:20 a.m. EDT
Hi! again,

I tried the SPICE netlist to connect the resistor to the piezo model and finally I connected the resistor to the piezo model. But when I change the resistor value, the output voltage doesn't change with load resistor. Can any one give solution this problem.

Thanks
Jagan
Hi! again, I tried the SPICE netlist to connect the resistor to the piezo model and finally I connected the resistor to the piezo model. But when I change the resistor value, the output voltage doesn't change with load resistor. Can any one give solution this problem. Thanks Jagan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 1:52 a.m. EDT
Hi

but does the current change ? and the total power ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but does the current change ? and the total power ? -- Good luck Ivar

Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 2:30 a.m. EDT
Hi! Ivar,

Yes current and power are changing with respect to the load resistor.

Thanks,
Jagan
Hi! Ivar, Yes current and power are changing with respect to the load resistor. Thanks, Jagan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 2:40 a.m. EDT
Hi

but then it's perhaps normal that the voltage is not changing.

As the PZT is a voltage to displacement (and reciprocal) transducer,
just like a voice coil is a current to force transducer,

or ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but then it's perhaps normal that the voltage is not changing. As the PZT is a voltage to displacement (and reciprocal) transducer, just like a voice coil is a current to force transducer, or ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 3:06 a.m. EDT
Hi,

In order to maximize the power output of the piezoelectric device you must find the correct impedance match, i.e. your load resistor must be equal to the impedance of the source. I would suggest to do a parameter study for the load resistor to see which value gives maximum power.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, In order to maximize the power output of the piezoelectric device you must find the correct impedance match, i.e. your load resistor must be equal to the impedance of the source. I would suggest to do a parameter study for the load resistor to see which value gives maximum power. Cheers Edgar

Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 3:37 a.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar
Thanks Ivar

Jagan Mohan Reddy Kudimi

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 3:38 a.m. EDT
Thanks Edgar
Thanks Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2012, 9:24 a.m. EDT
how did you connect the resistor to the piezo model?? i need help .
how did you connect the resistor to the piezo model?? i need help .

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 30, 2013, 12:06 a.m. EST
Hi
Can yo tell me how to connect resistor using SPICE netlist
Hi Can yo tell me how to connect resistor using SPICE netlist

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.