Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there any difference between 'free and porous media flow' and 'reacting flow in porous media'?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My project involves mass transport through convection and diffusion + free flow in pipe + flow in porous media. I know in 'reacting flow in porous media' we can couple mass transport too while 'free and porous media' module can not. I have attached my model picture where in the bottom rectangular region I have my porous media and on the top region free fluid flow is happening.

I tried to simulate the same model keeping all the propertiessame, in both the above mentioned module. However, I am having lot of dissimilarities. I have attached the results from both the modules. In the reacting flow porous media module I see fluid is having non zero velocity in the central region in porous media domain, also fluid from the top is travelling inside the porous media domain smoothly.

However, in the free and porous media flow, I see almost zero velocity everywhere in the porous media domain.

If both the modules are solving brinkman's equation in porous media and NS equation in free flow region then how come the flow patterns are different? your guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Aug 4, 2019, 4:11 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Viraj Mehta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.