Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PDE and ALE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!!

I'm getting desperate with a simple problem, similar to a shock tube, that I would like to solve using Comsol. I would be very appreciated if you guys give me a little help.
This is the situation. I have a cylinder which has a membrane separating two zones (A and B). Zone B is filled with air at ambient pressure, and is at rest. Zone A is filled with Hellium at a much higher pressure than Zone B. It is also at rest for t=0. When the membrane is removed it is expected that a shock front appears, making the Hellium to expand from Zone A to Zone B. Shouldn't this be solvable using Euler Equations for compressible fluids (PDE general mode), using a moving mesh to follow the shock front?? At this stage I'm assuming only r-direction gradients.

Again, any help or sugestion will be very usefull.
Thanks!!

Pedro Santos

0 Replies Last Post Dec 13, 2011, 2:40 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pedro Santos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.