Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem with solving and material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm trying to simulate the heat transfer of radiation in a pipe to a fluid, but I'm having problem with the solving and material. I'm using the steel aisi 4340 for the pipe and when compute my model the following error occur:

Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: material.parameter.mu
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1

What I can do?

My model is in attach.

I await response.

Gustavo.

4 Replies Last Post Dec 25, 2011, 2:17 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 23, 2011, 7:58 a.m. EST
Hi

first of all are you sure you have that much "radiation" from a solid to a fluid, compared to conduction and convection ? In particular for your dimensions ?

Have you done a few hand estimates ? these one should always do, even just to chekc that the FEM model is set up correctly

Then if you check your material properties, you will see that a few items are missing, that is why you get the error message

Last thing, when you have such large extend objects, to make the selection and model set up (sometimes too the model post-processing) its is worth to use a second "Definition View" where you have unchecked the "View - Camera - Preserve Aspect ratio" tick box (then update your plots)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all are you sure you have that much "radiation" from a solid to a fluid, compared to conduction and convection ? In particular for your dimensions ? Have you done a few hand estimates ? these one should always do, even just to chekc that the FEM model is set up correctly Then if you check your material properties, you will see that a few items are missing, that is why you get the error message Last thing, when you have such large extend objects, to make the selection and model set up (sometimes too the model post-processing) its is worth to use a second "Definition View" where you have unchecked the "View - Camera - Preserve Aspect ratio" tick box (then update your plots) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 23, 2011, 12:48 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar

The solid receive the solar radiation and than the fluid receive heat by convection. So i think the correct physics that I have to use are: laminar flow and heat transfer with radiation in participating media.

I corrected the error with material properties.

Its a good idea the view without Preserve Aspect ratio. I did not know this option.

Thanks.

Gustavo
Hi Ivar The solid receive the solar radiation and than the fluid receive heat by convection. So i think the correct physics that I have to use are: laminar flow and heat transfer with radiation in participating media. I corrected the error with material properties. Its a good idea the view without Preserve Aspect ratio. I did not know this option. Thanks. Gustavo

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 23, 2011, 3:03 p.m. EST
Hi

if it's the external surface that receives solar radiation, you do not need "radiation" in HT, you can use the total heat flux from the sun [W/m^2], somewhere <1500[W/m^2], depending on altitude, sun orientation and air humidity (atmostphere transmission).

The radiation is for radiative exchange between surfaces with stephan Boltzmann law and T^4 behaviour, mostly its negligible for temperatures below a few hundred K, compared to convection and conduction (except perhaps in vacuum when you have no conduction nor convection in the vacued region, but still thermal radiative exchange between internal surfaces)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if it's the external surface that receives solar radiation, you do not need "radiation" in HT, you can use the total heat flux from the sun [W/m^2], somewhere

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 2:17 a.m. EST
thanks Ivar
thanks Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.