Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems inporting geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I was trying to import a .dwg/.dfx/.step/.iges file formats, but under the geometry/import module there is no feature to add it.
the only formats that are shown are, ODB++, GDS, NETEX-G, STL, VRML and regular .mph file format.

I think, I don't have appropriate licenses, but I wanted to know if there is any other way I can import the above mentioned file formats.
If not then, is it possible to convert to either of the available file formats?

Also, I want to do a 2D model and I have a JPEG file of it, is there a way, I can Import, the JPEG image in the geometry?

4 Replies Last Post Dec 25, 2011, 2:54 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 1:00 p.m. EST
Hi

in 2D you import dxf, in 3D you need a more "solid" format, and it depends on the options you have: CAD module, LiveLink modules. Check the main COMSOL web site for the formats

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 2D you import dxf, in 3D you need a more "solid" format, and it depends on the options you have: CAD module, LiveLink modules. Check the main COMSOL web site for the formats -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 1:25 p.m. EST
Hello,

I tried opening a file that my professor sent me (He can open .dxf files on his machine) as an .mph file
but when I try opening it, it gives me an error message saying "The file is not valid or damaged"

Can you please help me here.

Thank you

-Rohan
Hello, I tried opening a file that my professor sent me (He can open .dxf files on his machine) as an .mph file but when I try opening it, it gives me an error message saying "The file is not valid or damaged" Can you please help me here. Thank you -Rohan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 2:53 p.m. EST
Hi

Im afraid I cannot do much, normally you can import, in 2D a DXF file (geometry - import in V4). But the best, if your professor can import it, is to export the model as a mphbin or a COMSOL geometry file, then I'm 100% sure you can re-import it.

File errors can also come from copy/paste errors, or downloading errors. Normally a DXF file is a text file you can look at in notepad, even if its not evident how to tweak it, paticularly if it's a long file

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Im afraid I cannot do much, normally you can import, in 2D a DXF file (geometry - import in V4). But the best, if your professor can import it, is to export the model as a mphbin or a COMSOL geometry file, then I'm 100% sure you can re-import it. File errors can also come from copy/paste errors, or downloading errors. Normally a DXF file is a text file you can look at in notepad, even if its not evident how to tweak it, paticularly if it's a long file -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2011, 2:54 p.m. EST
Thank you.
It worked somehow though ;)

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Thank you. It worked somehow though ;) Thanks for your prompt reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.