Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model the radiative cooling of solar cells in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working within the heat transfer module in COMSOL 5.4. I need to determine the temperature variation in the vertical direction within a silicon solar cell, which has a radiative cooler (RC) placed on top of the cell. What this means is that: 1. RC fully transmits light in the PV band (0.3-1.1 um) so that the cell receives all light and can generate electricity. 2. RC reflects light in the Vain band (1.1-4 um) so that the cell does not receive low bandgap energy which heats up the cell. 3. RC emits thermal radiation in the atmospheric band (4-25 um) so that all excess heat from the cell gets radiated to the outer space and the cell cools. I am using the heat transfer with the surface to surface radiation multiphysics node. The sun has been modeled using external radiation source. I'm a bit confused about the boundary conditions that need to be set. I need to set a value for the transmittance of the RC but I can't do that since the option is not available in COMSOL if I use external radiation source as the sun. Also, how can I set the transmittance of the sky so that heat can be radiated out into space? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2020, 12:44 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Salman Ahmed

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.