Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI vs Acoustic-stucture interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I try to understand the difference between FSI and acoustic-structure interaction (including thermoviscous acoustics and pressure acoustics).

After exploring some blogs articles and examples, I have an impression that FSI is more "complete" since it starts from the lower level-- the properties of the solid and the fluid, with moving mesh in general. So it can handle all kinds of fluid structure interaction problems, including the ones in which the sturcture vibrates in fairly high frequency (~kHz). As long as the time step is small enough (1/nth of a period of the vibration), FSI time depent solver should be able to find all the behavior of this system, including dampling. The only practical problem is that it can be expensive and be even inpractical for very high frequency vibration, and must be carefully setup when dealing with fast changing conditions, like shocks.

Thermoviscous acoustics and structure coupling, howerer, is a weaker solution compared to the FSI one, as it doesn't have moving mesh. So, it can't handle motions or vibrations with large amplitude. But it is more efficient than FSI for vibration scenarios, as long as the vibration amplitude is not large enough. This case condisers both added mass due to the fliud to the structure and the thermal damping due to the fliud.

The pressure acoustic and structure coupling is further simplied thermoviscous acoustics structure coupling, because it simply drops the thermal damping part. For macrosopic systems, that parts is in genearl insignificant.

If the above is in general correct, I had a laminar flow--solid mechanics coupling problem. And I tried to find the eigenfrequency of the coupled system using eigenfrequency solver, but it seems the result is not much different from the same system without the laminar flow part. Did I choose the wrong coupling (FSI)? or did I choose the wrong, laminar flow?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 23, 2020, 4:07 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 23, 2020, 4:07 a.m. EDT

Your analysis of the assumptions for the different formulations is essentially correct.

You cannot, however, use a true CFD interface, like Laminar Flow, for an Eigenfrequency study. Such interfaces have a fully nonlinear formulation, and does not have an equation form for frequency domain.

Eigenfrequency analysis implies linearity and small amplitude vibrations, so that is always an acoustic problem.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Your analysis of the assumptions for the different formulations is essentially correct. You cannot, however, use a true CFD interface, like Laminar Flow, for an Eigenfrequency study. Such interfaces have a fully nonlinear formulation, and does not have an equation form for frequency domain. Eigenfrequency analysis implies linearity and small amplitude vibrations, so that is always an acoustic problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.