Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time Scaling Coeffecient for Transient Analysis- Heat Transfer Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to do Heat transfer Analysis using the Conduction Application Mode and it is going to be aTransient Analysis- currently using version 3.5.
My question is regarding the time-scaling coeffecient, Dts_T. If I want to supply a 10 micro second heat pulse (Q), would I just put in 1E-5 as the user defined value for Dts_T.

To rephrase: I would want to supply heat pulse (Q) for 10 micro seconds and observe the temperature rise in the device during this period of time.

Also is there a way to increase the step size: right now Comsol is doing a 1.02E-14 step size. This could possibly take a very long time.

Thank you!
Ayan

2 Replies Last Post Mar 1, 2012, 2:10 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 29, 2012, 5:35 p.m. EST
Hi

It's too long since I used 3.5 now, but I do remember there where a place to adapt the time stepping from automatic/free to intermediate or strict, try check the doc.

One thing with short pules and HT in transient be sure you mesh is fine enough to resolve the gradients normally h<sqrt(alpha*Dt) where alpha=k/rho/Cp the heat diffusion and Dt the time stepping, while h is the average mesh size

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's too long since I used 3.5 now, but I do remember there where a place to adapt the time stepping from automatic/free to intermediate or strict, try check the doc. One thing with short pules and HT in transient be sure you mesh is fine enough to resolve the gradients normally h

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2012, 2:10 p.m. EST
Dear Ivar,
I did find out the Stepping Range and will try that out. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Best,
Ayan
Dear Ivar, I did find out the Stepping Range and will try that out. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it. Best, Ayan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.