Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL quits silently

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
the COMSOL quits silently after working of 1 year with this software with the same PC, I even reinstall my windows but I still have problem. I do not really know what I should do.

12 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2016, 10:45 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2012, 5:41 p.m. EDT
I had similar problems couple weeks ago after upgrading to the most recent Java Runtime Environment. I had to uninstall this Java update and after that COMSOL is working fine again.
I had similar problems couple weeks ago after upgrading to the most recent Java Runtime Environment. I had to uninstall this Java update and after that COMSOL is working fine again.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2012, 7:42 p.m. EDT
Thanks, I did as you said, but I still have that problem, I am really confused. I do not know whether it is a hardware problem or not?
Thanks, I did as you said, but I still have that problem, I am really confused. I do not know whether it is a hardware problem or not?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 2:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

that happens time to time also to me (win7-64) not sure why, I have tried to change different issues int he OS, with the AV no succes, suddenly it start to work OK again. It's always linked with the "hs_err_pidnnn.log" of the type

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000077190895, pid=1620, tid=3860
#
# JRE version: 6.0_20-b02
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [ntdll.dll+0x50895]
#
#

So I beleive its a COMSOL <=> Java <=> OS issue but I havent got further. Mostly it restart after having resinstalled the software, which luckily goes quick

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that happens time to time also to me (win7-64) not sure why, I have tried to change different issues int he OS, with the AV no succes, suddenly it start to work OK again. It's always linked with the "hs_err_pidnnn.log" of the type # # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000077190895, pid=1620, tid=3860 # # JRE version: 6.0_20-b02 # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 ) # Problematic frame: # C [ntdll.dll+0x50895] # # So I beleive its a COMSOL Java OS issue but I havent got further. Mostly it restart after having resinstalled the software, which luckily goes quick -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 8:51 a.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar,
The wired thing is that I have been using COMSOL with the same PC and same OS (Win7, 64 bit) for one year and I did not have any problem. But starting 2012, this problem keeps happening. I did not change anything in my OS or even my PC.
Thanks Ivar, The wired thing is that I have been using COMSOL with the same PC and same OS (Win7, 64 bit) for one year and I did not have any problem. But starting 2012, this problem keeps happening. I did not change anything in my OS or even my PC.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 2:41 p.m. EDT
I think it's due to Java-COMSOL problems. I have JavaVM 6.0.230, and COMSOL has never crashed. It used to happen with earlier versions of Java but not very often to bother me. After installing the latest 6.0.3x JVM version it would crash every 10 minutes.

So what I would do is to uninstall both Java and COMSOL first. Then install JavaVM 6.0.230. After that, install COMSOL.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the result.
I think it's due to Java-COMSOL problems. I have JavaVM 6.0.230, and COMSOL has never crashed. It used to happen with earlier versions of Java but not very often to bother me. After installing the latest 6.0.3x JVM version it would crash every 10 minutes. So what I would do is to uninstall both Java and COMSOL first. Then install JavaVM 6.0.230. After that, install COMSOL. Hope this helps. Please let us know the result.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure COMSOL is using the OS installed Java or rather it's own one incorporated in the distribution, but still these two might interact negatively. I'm having my workstation do its "automatic" updates, but the failures, always unexpected, do not seem to line up particularly with either MS or Java updates, at least not in a easy to identify way

I had some crashes this morning, but these could be linked to my complex file ? as COMSOL restarted thereafter cleanly (but no longer when accessing that partcular file ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure COMSOL is using the OS installed Java or rather it's own one incorporated in the distribution, but still these two might interact negatively. I'm having my workstation do its "automatic" updates, but the failures, always unexpected, do not seem to line up particularly with either MS or Java updates, at least not in a easy to identify way I had some crashes this morning, but these could be linked to my complex file ? as COMSOL restarted thereafter cleanly (but no longer when accessing that partcular file ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 8:18 a.m. EDT
not, i try your method, it did't work. the crash remain with particular file.
i am running with 3D model.
not, i try your method, it did't work. the crash remain with particular file. i am running with 3D model.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 8:46 a.m. EDT
Hi

if it's with a given file then it must be the file that is corrupt (as I had yesterday) but when it does not allow you to restart COMSOL even without a file, then at least for me I can reinstall COMSOL and it works again) luckily this is seldom.
I'm currently tracking more carefully all automatic updates of my OS and of Java to see if i can find any correlation, but as it's not happening often it will take me some months ;)

in the mean time, what I like, it's quickly done to reconstruct a new model, even one with a few houndred domains

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if it's with a given file then it must be the file that is corrupt (as I had yesterday) but when it does not allow you to restart COMSOL even without a file, then at least for me I can reinstall COMSOL and it works again) luckily this is seldom. I'm currently tracking more carefully all automatic updates of my OS and of Java to see if i can find any correlation, but as it's not happening often it will take me some months ;) in the mean time, what I like, it's quickly done to reconstruct a new model, even one with a few houndred domains -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 8:53 a.m. EDT
Dear All,
I found out that my problem was due to the memory, one of my memories was not working properly, I used this software to check my memories:

www.memtest86.com/download.html

and after that I remove one of me memory cards, aand now it is working. It was a problem with some bits in my memory that causes the COMSOL to quits silently.
Dear All, I found out that my problem was due to the memory, one of my memories was not working properly, I used this software to check my memories: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html and after that I remove one of me memory cards, aand now it is working. It was a problem with some bits in my memory that causes the COMSOL to quits silently.

Jon Ebert Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 3, 2015, 9:39 p.m. EST
I was running a model on my laptop, and I've never seen this. Then tonight I tried running it on my bigger/faster desktop and I get this same Java failure. It happens every time at exactly the same time during a solution of a flow/temperature model. During SOLVE, when the first convergence plot is complete, and before the second convergence plot starts, COMSOL quietly crashes (with the Java log file like you showed).

I tried a number of things, including:

1. re-install comsol
2. update to latest java, and re-install comsol, and
3. remove java completely and re-install comsol (again).
4. run memory diagnostics (didn't find a problem).

None of this worked. It still halts at exactly the same time, every time. Without any Java installed, I still see from the log that COMSOL is using Java 7, so I'm guessing COMSOL is using it's own local version.

Hope this helps.

I'm using Win10, COMSOL 5.2, 64bit, CPU:total 16 (8 cores per cpu, 2 threads per core) family 6 model 63 stepping 2

Jon
I was running a model on my laptop, and I've never seen this. Then tonight I tried running it on my bigger/faster desktop and I get this same Java failure. It happens every time at exactly the same time during a solution of a flow/temperature model. During SOLVE, when the first convergence plot is complete, and before the second convergence plot starts, COMSOL quietly crashes (with the Java log file like you showed). I tried a number of things, including: 1. re-install comsol 2. update to latest java, and re-install comsol, and 3. remove java completely and re-install comsol (again). 4. run memory diagnostics (didn't find a problem). None of this worked. It still halts at exactly the same time, every time. Without any Java installed, I still see from the log that COMSOL is using Java 7, so I'm guessing COMSOL is using it's own local version. Hope this helps. I'm using Win10, COMSOL 5.2, 64bit, CPU:total 16 (8 cores per cpu, 2 threads per core) family 6 model 63 stepping 2 Jon

Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 4, 2015, 3:37 a.m. EST
Hi Jon,
can you please submit a support ticket at www.comsol.com/support and attach any error log files.
Thanks
Niklas Rom, COMSOL

I was running a model on my laptop, and I've never seen this. Then tonight I tried running it on my bigger/faster desktop and I get this same Java failure. It happens every time at exactly the same time during a solution of a flow/temperature model. During SOLVE, when the first convergence plot is complete, and before the second convergence plot starts, COMSOL quietly crashes (with the Java log file like you showed).

I tried a number of things, including:

1. re-install comsol
2. update to latest java, and re-install comsol, and
3. remove java completely and re-install comsol (again).
4. run memory diagnostics (didn't find a problem).

None of this worked. It still halts at exactly the same time, every time. Without any Java installed, I still see from the log that COMSOL is using Java 7, so I'm guessing COMSOL is using it's own local version.

Hope this helps.

I'm using Win10, COMSOL 5.2, 64bit, CPU:total 16 (8 cores per cpu, 2 threads per core) family 6 model 63 stepping 2

Jon

Hi Jon, can you please submit a support ticket at http://www.comsol.com/support and attach any error log files. Thanks Niklas Rom, COMSOL [QUOTE] I was running a model on my laptop, and I've never seen this. Then tonight I tried running it on my bigger/faster desktop and I get this same Java failure. It happens every time at exactly the same time during a solution of a flow/temperature model. During SOLVE, when the first convergence plot is complete, and before the second convergence plot starts, COMSOL quietly crashes (with the Java log file like you showed). I tried a number of things, including: 1. re-install comsol 2. update to latest java, and re-install comsol, and 3. remove java completely and re-install comsol (again). 4. run memory diagnostics (didn't find a problem). None of this worked. It still halts at exactly the same time, every time. Without any Java installed, I still see from the log that COMSOL is using Java 7, so I'm guessing COMSOL is using it's own local version. Hope this helps. I'm using Win10, COMSOL 5.2, 64bit, CPU:total 16 (8 cores per cpu, 2 threads per core) family 6 model 63 stepping 2 Jon [/QUOTE]

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 16, 2016, 10:45 a.m. EST
Hi,
I have recently installed and beginning use with COMSOL 4.4 I have been facing problem since I launch the software, it silently quits or crashes at times. Not able to start basic work also yet! Kindly advise

system configurations:
win 8.1 64bit, 6GB RAM, dual core, No graphics card, java latest installed

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi, I have recently installed and beginning use with COMSOL 4.4 I have been facing problem since I launch the software, it silently quits or crashes at times. Not able to start basic work also yet! Kindly advise system configurations: win 8.1 64bit, 6GB RAM, dual core, No graphics card, java latest installed Thanks in anticipation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.