Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Too high radiation

Marie Seltveit Haugen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have modeled two walls with a radiation shield between, in 2D. The walls and the shield are made opaque and I have surface-to-surface radiation on the four inner boundaries (and insulation on the two outer). The two walls have different constant temperatures.

lxxl lxl lxxl

x-opaque domain, l-boundary.

I want to obtain the irradiation on the right wall, and I use a line integration over this boundary.
But the result I get here for the irradiation is higher than the radiosity at the left side at the shield, and even higher than the radiosity at the left wall (which has the highest constant temperature).

It looks to me like COMSOL is allowing radiation through the opaque radiation shield? How can I obtain the correct irradiation at the right wall?

0 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2012, 9:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marie Seltveit Haugen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.