Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CONNECTION between 3-D eigenfrequency analysis & 2-D mode analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I use 3-D Eigenfrequency Analysis vs 2-D Mode Analysis to solve the eigenmodes in conventional ridge waveguides. Even though I have successfully got the expected results, there are still some problems or concepts needed to be clarified, and I seperate them into two main parts:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly,

Please check the attached PNG file:

I respectively get “Eigenfrequency” in 3-D Eigenfrequency Analysis and “Effective Index” in 2-D Mode Analysis, BUT:

1. What’s the connection between this two calcuation modes, 3-D Eigenfrequency Analysis and 2-D Mode Analysis?

2. How to get the “Effective Index” from 3-D Eigenfrequency Analysis, and “Eigenfrequency” from 2-D Mode Analysis?

I believe these two distinct tools must be able to be linked together!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secondly,

I found there is a package tool contained in the RF Module, called "Eigenvalue mode", which are also shown in my attached file.

I wanna set this tool to be "3-D" mode analysis, but I'm curious about the definition of eigenvalue in the EM wave cases. To my knowledge, the eigenvalues in the EM wave cases described by Maxwell equations should be k0, which is a wavenumber of light propagating in the structure. But as I designate one initial eigenvalue for the solver, it can't derive the same electric field distribution as that in the 3-D Eigenfrequency analysis.

So, here, I just need some "instruction" for how to use the Eigenvalue Mode to achieve the same results as 2-D Mode Analysis and 3-D Eigenfrequency Analysis.

Your kind reply would be highly appreciated. Thank you for your patience,

1 Reply Last Post Oct 10, 2012, 1:29 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2012, 1:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you checked the doc, the help file i.e "Step-Index Fiber" and the model library xamples, htere are further explanations there. Try a search on "effective refractive index"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the doc, the help file i.e "Step-Index Fiber" and the model library xamples, htere are further explanations there. Try a search on "effective refractive index" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.