Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

variable names to define user-defined materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey there,

I'm seeking assistance in understanding how to define user-defined materials in COMSOL, particularly with regard to the nomenclature of specific quantities.

For example, I've come across terms like 'solid.Cel11' representing the isochoric elastic Cauchy-Green tensor and 'solid.cxx' for the Cauchy-Green tensor's xx component. some more examples: Density: Variable Name: solid.density

Young's Modulus: Variable Name: solid.E

Shear Modulus: Variable Name: solid.G

Is there a resource or compilation available that provides a comprehensive list of these variable names and their corresponding descriptions within COMSOL. I then intend to use these variable names to create my own user-defined material.

I am more specifically look for variable names for quantities involved in the solid mechanics module. I have attached a snapshot for your reference.

Thanks, Ashish

1 Reply Last Post Sep 15, 2023, 2:35 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 months ago Sep 15, 2023, 2:35 a.m. EDT

A full list of variables would contain about 10000 entries for structural mechanics only, so it is not feasible to maintain such a list in the documentation. Furthermore, most variables are defined only under certain conditions.

As an example, the variables that you mention, solid.E and solid.G would only be defined in domains where a linear elastic material is selected. If you are, for example, working with a user-defined hyperelastic material, they are not.

The best approaches when searching for a certain variable is either to look in Equation View for the feature that defines it, of use the search functionality (Ctrl-F).

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
A full list of variables would contain about 10000 entries for structural mechanics only, so it is not feasible to maintain such a list in the documentation. Furthermore, most variables are defined only under certain conditions. As an example, the variables that you mention, solid.E and solid.G would only be defined in domains where a linear elastic material is selected. If you are, for example, working with a user-defined hyperelastic material, they are not. The best approaches when searching for a certain variable is either to look in Equation View for the feature that defines it, of use the search functionality (Ctrl-F).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.