Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference between "Porous Media and Subsurface Flow" and "Poroelasticity (Poro)"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a little confused by two physical module, the first one is Fluid Flow-----Porous Media and Subsurface Flow, and the second one is Structural Mechanics--------Poroelasticity (Poro). What is the difference between the two and their suitable topic? I am gonna do a topic on saturated sand. Which one is better for me to choose? Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 16, 2012, 8:57 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 16, 2012, 1:26 a.m. EST
Hi

I do not have the subsurface flow module, but when I have to decide which physics to use, I go for a careful study of the dependent variables and the equations proposed, and compare those to the list of requirements for my given model

You do make a list of dependent variables and BC conditions before you model, on a sketch dont you ? At least I find it the best way to not discover once the model is almost finished, that I have chosen the wrong physics and must start again.

Then read carefully the doc about the 2 solver case

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have the subsurface flow module, but when I have to decide which physics to use, I go for a careful study of the dependent variables and the equations proposed, and compare those to the list of requirements for my given model You do make a list of dependent variables and BC conditions before you model, on a sketch dont you ? At least I find it the best way to not discover once the model is almost finished, that I have chosen the wrong physics and must start again. Then read carefully the doc about the 2 solver case -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 16, 2012, 8:57 a.m. EST
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I used 4.3a, and there is a module of "Porous Media and Subsurface Flow" .
Thanks a lot for your reply. I used 4.3a, and there is a module of "Porous Media and Subsurface Flow" .

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.