Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Semi-Infinite Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have done a lot of research on how I can implement a semi-infinite domain, but I cannot seem to find an answer that is suitable for my specific application.

To simplify my problem, I have a microheater ontop of a thin section of Sb2S3. This microheater and section of Sb2S3 sit ontop of an infinitely wide and infinitely long section of SiO2. Underneath the SiO2 is an infinitely wide, infitely long and infitely thick Si substrate. This may be hard to picture so I have attached an image to illustrate this.

I want to apply a current across the microheater and monitor the temperature in the setion of Sb2S3. It is important that the layer of SiO2 and Si are large enough such that the heat does not build up in these domains thus affecting the temperature being measured. What is the best way to do this? I have tried using infinite domains but I am not sure how to control which direction they extend infinitely. I have also considered using a boundary condition but I am not sure how I would accurately model the conductive heat transfer.

I have attached the specific model I am working on as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Isaac

0 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2023, 5:46 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Isaac Johnson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.