Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Errors combining Laminar Flow - Module with equation based (PDE) heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello reader,

I'm currently trying to recreate the equations of the heat transfer module by using a coefficient form PDE equation. The goal is the combination of the PDE with the existing module for laminar flow and achieve the same results as using the NITF-Multiphysics with heat and flow physics.

So at first I think it is necessary to assign the following terms of the coefficient PDE with the degree of freedom T (for temperature):

• c = k(T) as known thermal conductivity

• = rho(spf.pA, T) * Cp(T) * [u,v] * spf.dz due to fluid flow that uses the fluid module spf na dhas the respective velocitiy component u,v

• f = (d(spf.pA,t)+ud(spf.pA,x)+vd(spf.pA,y)) * spf.dz * alpha_p(spf.pA, T) T as a source term

The fluid is described by the "Air"-parameters included in the material library.

The problem is that running a simulation leads to a divergence that won't occur for the same model if I use the NITF-Multiphysics interface and the respective physics (fluid and heat transfer). I appended the mph-file so if you have any advice or ideas please share them.

Thanks in advance, Paul Löps.

0 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2023, 5:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul Löps

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.