Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar-Two-Phase-Flow - Filling of a Pot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've done a lot of simulations with comsol 4.3 and they worked. My modell is a pot which is filled with water.I'm using the laminar two phase flow in 2D with the phases water and air. i have two boundaries inlet of water and outlet of air. Now I have following problems:
(1) Sumtimes the air turnes its direction and my defined air outlets become inlets. the results are problems with the singularity. i could sometimes handle that by putting an little air inlet next to the air outlet. but this not allways helps.

(2) I change the inflowvelocities in different simulations. Now sometimes the pot is filled much to fast as it shoul. But i haven't changed anything in the settings except the velocity. The flow is incompressible. Does anyone know, why this happens?

I hope anyone can understand me :)
I'm glad for every answer!

2 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 12:55 a.m. EST
Hi

I cannot explain all of it but I can remind you that an "inlet and outlet are similar BC and an inlet can also be an outlet & vice versa. There is a nice discussion in the KB and in one of the model library models, on how to adapt the in/outlets depending on i.e. gravity, pressure etc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot explain all of it but I can remind you that an "inlet and outlet are similar BC and an inlet can also be an outlet & vice versa. There is a nice discussion in the KB and in one of the model library models, on how to adapt the in/outlets depending on i.e. gravity, pressure etc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2012, 12:26 p.m. EST
Linda,

I guess more information is needed to completely understand the problem. However, due to my own experience, you may lose mass! Usually, COMSOL has problem to keep mass conserved in multiphase flow simulations, the mass loss is mainly for the fluid with higher density. Check the mass conservation, also turn your governing equation to conservative form, most likely you will get rid of this issue.

Good luck.

Shawn

PS. are you using Phase-field or Level-set?
Linda, I guess more information is needed to completely understand the problem. However, due to my own experience, you may lose mass! Usually, COMSOL has problem to keep mass conserved in multiphase flow simulations, the mass loss is mainly for the fluid with higher density. Check the mass conservation, also turn your governing equation to conservative form, most likely you will get rid of this issue. Good luck. Shawn PS. are you using Phase-field or Level-set?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.