Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to redeuce memory requirement during comsol simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol. I recently built a simple 3D model in comsol.
Oops - it used way much more memory than I expected. I used to build models with
millions of nodes and never had any issues. But now the simulation would crash whenever
the number of elements got close to 1 million. So to all the gurus out there -
what tricks do you know can reduce memory requirement during comsol simulation?

2 Replies Last Post Dec 7, 2012, 2:41 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 7, 2012, 12:56 a.m. EST
Hi

3D indeed tend to get very Biiiig and RAM consuming ;)

a few tricks: cqan you use symmetry, to divide our model in 1/ 1/4 or even 1/8 or more ?, can you use 2D as the variations along one axis is small, or do you have a shape very looong, so that the section can be reduced to a point, or do you have cylindrical symmetry, then 2D-axi or 1D axi even is much quicker to solve

Once you have solved for 2D-axi or 2D you can map it back to 3D to give 3D views

Note: COMSOL solves always in 3D, but when you select 2D, the formulas are simplified, and the variables are considered per 1 meter in depth (Z) with no gradients along Z, (or 1 meter square in the section Y-Z perpendicular to the line direction X)

Welcome to the real world :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 3D indeed tend to get very Biiiig and RAM consuming ;) a few tricks: cqan you use symmetry, to divide our model in 1/ 1/4 or even 1/8 or more ?, can you use 2D as the variations along one axis is small, or do you have a shape very looong, so that the section can be reduced to a point, or do you have cylindrical symmetry, then 2D-axi or 1D axi even is much quicker to solve Once you have solved for 2D-axi or 2D you can map it back to 3D to give 3D views Note: COMSOL solves always in 3D, but when you select 2D, the formulas are simplified, and the variables are considered per 1 meter in depth (Z) with no gradients along Z, (or 1 meter square in the section Y-Z perpendicular to the line direction X) Welcome to the real world :) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 7, 2012, 2:41 p.m. EST
Thank you for your helpful suggestions, Ivar!

I am also wondering when COMSOL will support GPU during the solution process.
I will at least need hundreds of GB's if I make my 3D model close to reality (subsurface
flow and heat transport with boreholes). Sounds like GPU might be able to get me there,
unless I spend >$15K to buy a super computer.

G

Hi

3D indeed tend to get very Biiiig and RAM consuming ;)

a few tricks: cqan you use symmetry, to divide our model in 1/ 1/4 or even 1/8 or more ?, can you use 2D as the variations along one axis is small, or do you have a shape very looong, so that the section can be reduced to a point, or do you have cylindrical symmetry, then 2D-axi or 1D axi even is much quicker to solve

Once you have solved for 2D-axi or 2D you can map it back to 3D to give 3D views

Note: COMSOL solves always in 3D, but when you select 2D, the formulas are simplified, and the variables are considered per 1 meter in depth (Z) with no gradients along Z, (or 1 meter square in the section Y-Z perpendicular to the line direction X)

Welcome to the real world :)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, Ivar! I am also wondering when COMSOL will support GPU during the solution process. I will at least need hundreds of GB's if I make my 3D model close to reality (subsurface flow and heat transport with boreholes). Sounds like GPU might be able to get me there, unless I spend >$15K to buy a super computer. G [QUOTE] Hi 3D indeed tend to get very Biiiig and RAM consuming ;) a few tricks: cqan you use symmetry, to divide our model in 1/ 1/4 or even 1/8 or more ?, can you use 2D as the variations along one axis is small, or do you have a shape very looong, so that the section can be reduced to a point, or do you have cylindrical symmetry, then 2D-axi or 1D axi even is much quicker to solve Once you have solved for 2D-axi or 2D you can map it back to 3D to give 3D views Note: COMSOL solves always in 3D, but when you select 2D, the formulas are simplified, and the variables are considered per 1 meter in depth (Z) with no gradients along Z, (or 1 meter square in the section Y-Z perpendicular to the line direction X) Welcome to the real world :) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.