Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

phase transformation

Mohamed Aymen Ben Hassen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi everyone,
I'm looking to modelize a phase transformation in the Titanium alloy ti-6AL-4V during the course of the beta-phase to alpha-phase. I'm not sure if Comsol can do that or not. If the response is yes, how many module should I use ? and is it difficult to make this example in Comsol ? and, the most inportant question, witch version of comsol should I use ?
Thx in advance

4 Replies Last Post Jan 8, 2013, 2:19 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 17, 2012, 10:57 a.m. EST
Hi

I would say yes it's possible if you tweak a little the system., as by default you have only one phase, check the boiling water examples and the level set or phase set methods

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say yes it's possible if you tweak a little the system., as by default you have only one phase, check the boiling water examples and the level set or phase set methods -- Good luck Ivar

Mohamed Aymen Ben Hassen

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 17, 2012, 11:15 a.m. EST
Thank you Ivar,

Yes, by default Ihave only one phase 'beta', but during cooling a new phase 'alpha' appears at the grain boundary within the metastable 'beta-phase' and this followed by the growth of this nucleus into the surrounding matrix. In another words, an interface is created during the nucleation stage and then migrates inti the surrounding parent phase 'beta' during the growth stage by the transfer of atoms across the interface.

Can you please explein to me what should I do exactly ? I'think I need to use the second Fix's low, no ?

thx in advance.
Thank you Ivar, Yes, by default Ihave only one phase 'beta', but during cooling a new phase 'alpha' appears at the grain boundary within the metastable 'beta-phase' and this followed by the growth of this nucleus into the surrounding matrix. In another words, an interface is created during the nucleation stage and then migrates inti the surrounding parent phase 'beta' during the growth stage by the transfer of atoms across the interface. Can you please explein to me what should I do exactly ? I'think I need to use the second Fix's low, no ? thx in advance.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 18, 2012, 3:12 a.m. EST
Hi

this is not something I have done myself, so I have only non-verified ideas (I'm fighting partly with some similar issues on SMA (shape memory alloy simulation) for SMA under vibration load with phase transformation.

you need a variable that drives the phase change, for my case I use T the temperature and define a heat capacity with "bumps" to integrate the latent heat over a few degrees, and use this T value to drive material properties as conductance, (electric and heat) stiffness, expansion coefficient etc.

But from what I hear you have not only T temperature but probably also "t" time to look after, hysteresis issues are tricky, and there I do not really have any good ideas ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this is not something I have done myself, so I have only non-verified ideas (I'm fighting partly with some similar issues on SMA (shape memory alloy simulation) for SMA under vibration load with phase transformation. you need a variable that drives the phase change, for my case I use T the temperature and define a heat capacity with "bumps" to integrate the latent heat over a few degrees, and use this T value to drive material properties as conductance, (electric and heat) stiffness, expansion coefficient etc. But from what I hear you have not only T temperature but probably also "t" time to look after, hysteresis issues are tricky, and there I do not really have any good ideas ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 8, 2013, 2:19 p.m. EST
Would it work if you couple Phase Change and Boiling Water models?
Would it work if you couple Phase Change and Boiling Water models?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.