Meshing large domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Does anybody know how to speed up meshing process of large domains? It takes hours to finish meshing using my i7 CPU 64GB RAM? Are there tips in COMSOL or in the hardware that I can replace? I should mention that the the domain contains two different meshes: very fine (mm size) and coarser mesh (m size).

Kind regards, Taofik

4 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2024, 5:50 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 16, 2024, 12:37 p.m. EDT

There are a variety of mesh settings available. If you have adjoining surfaces with different mesh sizes, then Comsol Multiphysics will attempt to connect the meshes smoothly (shrinking elements on the coarser side, at/near the boundary with the finer side). For a huge difference in mesh sizes, that could take a long while and also can yield poor results, if not managed carefully. But without seeing what/how you have set up your problem, it is uncertain why your particular meshing process is taking so long. A problematic geometry can cause an increase in meshing time, while the software attempts to improve the mesh quality. If you are not already doing so, you should take careful and manual control of the meshing process. Choose your mesh(es) in detail in accordance with the physics being represented. If you post your model to the forum, you may get more helpful advice.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are a variety of mesh settings available. If you have adjoining surfaces with different mesh sizes, then Comsol Multiphysics will attempt to connect the meshes smoothly (shrinking elements on the coarser side, at/near the boundary with the finer side). For a huge difference in mesh sizes, that could take a long while and also can yield poor results, if not managed carefully. But without seeing what/how you have set up your problem, it is uncertain why your particular meshing process is taking so long. A problematic geometry can cause an increase in meshing time, while the software attempts to improve the mesh quality. If you are not already doing so, you should take careful and manual control of the meshing process. Choose your mesh(es) in detail in accordance with the physics being represented. If you post your model to the forum, you may get more helpful advice.

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 18, 2024, 7:20 a.m. EDT

Thanks Robert for your reply. I will describe the model briefly: a steel pipe with size 2.3" (ID) is transmitting a cold fluid (at different rates) the pipe is buried underground and extends for few km's. I want to monitor temperature change of the fluid over time. I took around 10 m solid material aound the pipe to observe how T is changing. Because the flow is turbulent, the mesh in the pipe must be extremely fine and in the solid material is much coarser. I created the mesh myself using mapped mesh in the pipe and trinagular mesh in the solid phase (fine close to the pipe and coarser as it extends far away).

Kind regards,

Thanks Robert for your reply. I will describe the model briefly: a steel pipe with size 2.3" (ID) is transmitting a cold fluid (at different rates) the pipe is buried underground and extends for few km's. I want to monitor temperature change of the fluid over time. I took around 10 m solid material aound the pipe to observe how T is changing. Because the flow is turbulent, the mesh in the pipe must be extremely fine and in the solid material is much coarser. I created the mesh myself using mapped mesh in the pipe and trinagular mesh in the solid phase (fine close to the pipe and coarser as it extends far away). Kind regards,

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 weeks ago Apr 18, 2024, 8:45 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 weeks ago Apr 18, 2024, 8:45 a.m. EDT

Hello Taofik,

You should consider using the Pipe Flow Module, as this would eliminate the need for a fine mesh in the pipe.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Taofik, You should consider using the [Pipe Flow Module](https://www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module), as this would eliminate the need for a fine mesh in the pipe. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 week ago Apr 19, 2024, 5:50 a.m. EDT

Thanks Jeff for the hint. I'll try it.

Kr, Taofik

Thanks Jeff for the hint. I'll try it. Kr, Taofik

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.