Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Variable change with time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a question about variable change with time.
I try to make a mass transfer model. The inflow concentration change with time.

If t <= 1000s then C=1mol/m^3
else C=0

I upload the data and make a Interpolation Function. Function name: int1

Then I set the Inlet Concentration as int1. It shows int1 is not variable.

How can I make this kind of variable?

Thanks in advance

Dylan

2 Replies Last Post Jan 19, 2013, 5:01 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 2:08 a.m. EST
Hi

if you make it a function you need to give it an argument as int1(t[1/s]). But I would propose that you use a step function from 1 to 0 at t = 1000 s with a smoothing of perhaps 1 sec, then enforce your time stepping algorithm to slow down and take a 2-3 points during the switch off (i.e. strict or intermediate stepping)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you make it a function you need to give it an argument as int1(t[1/s]). But I would propose that you use a step function from 1 to 0 at t = 1000 s with a smoothing of perhaps 1 sec, then enforce your time stepping algorithm to slow down and take a 2-3 points during the switch off (i.e. strict or intermediate stepping) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2013, 5:01 p.m. EST
Thank you very much.

Dylan
Thank you very much. Dylan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.