Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stresses built up in a rotating disk

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to analyze the stresses built up in in rotating disk. This disk is not subjected to any external loading. Only forces applied is centrifugal forces due to rotation.

When I try to model the problem using Structural Mechanics>Solid Mechanics (solid) from COMSOL 4.2 it allows me to enter a linear velocity as a Prescribed Velocity. But I cant enter the rotational or angular speed.

Can I implement this problem in COMSOL using this Prescribed Velocity functionality?or Is there any other way to analyze the stresses in this rotating disk.?

Thank You Very Much.

Shehan

3 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2013, 9:13 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 p.m. EST
Hi Shehan,

The most efficient way to calculate the stresses due to a steady-state centrifugal load is through a body load = density x omega^2 x radius. You don’t need to prescribe velocity in that case.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Shehan, The most efficient way to calculate the stresses due to a steady-state centrifugal load is through a body load = density x omega^2 x radius. You don’t need to prescribe velocity in that case. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2013, 9:54 p.m. EST
Thanks Nagi for your quick reply. I did the simulation that way and got the results.

I applied the body load in the r direction (In cylindrical coordinate system). What I am not sure here is whether I should applied the loads in all three direction.

Thanks.
Thanks Nagi for your quick reply. I did the simulation that way and got the results. I applied the body load in the r direction (In cylindrical coordinate system). What I am not sure here is whether I should applied the loads in all three direction. Thanks.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2013, 9:13 p.m. EST
If you apply the load in a cylindrical coordinate system aligned with the axis of rotation then you only need to apply a force in the radial direction (as you did).
If you apply the load in a cylindrical coordinate system aligned with the axis of rotation then you only need to apply a force in the radial direction (as you did).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.