Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Not able to properly use remesh feature in multiphysics stationary simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have simulated a steel specimen that becomes deformed due to bending. For that, I use the solid mechanics interface in a stationary study. Parametrizing the magnitude of bending also works. Overall, it works as expected.

I have also simulated an electromagnet by using the magnetic fields interface and specifying a DC external current density in a stationary study. That also works well.

I have attempted to include both of them in the same model, where I want the specimen to be deformed, remeshed, and that new mesh be used in the magnetic fields stationary study. Oh, and I want to parametrize the magnitude of bending, such that the sequence of operations is:

1. Deform 1 mm relative to rest position (calculate from initial mesh)
2. Remesh
3. Calculate DC magnetic fields (using remeshed geometry )

4. Deform 2 mm relative to rest position (calculate from initial mesh)
5. Remesh
6. Calculate DC magnetic fields using remeshed geometry

and so on...

So far, I have managed to remesh by using ALE and the model works without errors. However, I have a hunch that the magnetic fields interface only takes into account the initial mesh. As a result, the magnetic field distribution remains the same, and the only reason why it follows the shape of the deformed specimen in the plot, is because I have added "Deformation" as an addition to the plot. Could this be the case, what do you think?

I have been struggling with this for quite a while. Any ideas/suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time,

Kind Regards,
Orfeas

2 Replies Last Post Feb 23, 2013, 8:53 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2013, 7:40 p.m. EST
Anyone?
Anyone?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2013, 8:53 a.m. EST
Hi

but one should be able to combine ALE, solid + MF in one model, define the ALE everywhere, define SOLID for the solid domains intha middle of the air and the magnet, and the MF everywhere.

if ALE is first (where it should be) it will disable for the region of "solid", as this has some sort of ALE already inlcuded.

then you can solve for u (displacements), and Vm or A the magnetic potential (in 2D respectively 3D) together and the magnet will notice the change in distance to the solid

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but one should be able to combine ALE, solid + MF in one model, define the ALE everywhere, define SOLID for the solid domains intha middle of the air and the magnet, and the MF everywhere. if ALE is first (where it should be) it will disable for the region of "solid", as this has some sort of ALE already inlcuded. then you can solve for u (displacements), and Vm or A the magnetic potential (in 2D respectively 3D) together and the magnet will notice the change in distance to the solid -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.