Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle Tracing Module - Particle-Particle Interaction and Size Exclusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys, I have been trying to build a model using particle tracing that will allow the particles to interact with each other, such as elastic collisions, and have size exclusion such as a small opening in the fluid path to obstruct that particle's movement.

Firstly, I am currently running 4.2a and would like to know if there is a way to get particles to interact with one another (from particle tracing); if it isn't, then is it possible in 4.3b? If it is possible, I would also appreciate the knowledge of how to do it.

Secondly, I want to have size exclusion in my model. I would like my particles, who have a diameter of 60 microns, to be obstructed by a channel that is less than the particles' diameters, e.g. a 40 micron channel. I have played around with settings, but no matter what I do the particles simply pass through it as if it wasn't there. I have a theory as to what is causing this: I believe the trajectories that the software calculates at each time step is the culprit. I believe that during the time interval from when the particle is just before the channel, to when it exits it, allows the particle to teleport through because of its already calculated trajectory. I currently have a simulation running where the time interval is in microseconds to see if that would help. I would appreciate some opinions on this please.

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2013, 8:20 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joseph Fricks

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 1, 2013, 7:32 a.m. EDT
Hey Joseph,

please allow me to ask if you find a solution for your problem with the size exclusion. I am interested in particle transport in thin fractures where these kind of behaviour (straining) also occurs.

All the best,
florian
Hey Joseph, please allow me to ask if you find a solution for your problem with the size exclusion. I am interested in particle transport in thin fractures where these kind of behaviour (straining) also occurs. All the best, florian

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 1, 2013, 8:20 a.m. EDT
Hello Joseph,
Particle-particle interaction is a capability that was added to the Particle Tracing Module at version 4.3, see www.comsol.com/products/4.3/#particletracing . However, since the forces acting on the particles must be continuously acting for all distances between particles, this may not be suitable for your modeling of collisions between particles.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Joseph, Particle-particle interaction is a capability that was added to the Particle Tracing Module at version 4.3, see http://www.comsol.com/products/4.3/#particletracing . However, since the forces acting on the particles must be continuously acting for all distances between particles, this may not be suitable for your modeling of collisions between particles. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.