Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems with Parallel Plate flow with Body Forces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am having trouble modeling parallel plate flow with an applied force. I am trying to replicate a simple hartmann flow where a Lorentz force pushes against a flow to change the flow profile. To simplify things, I solved for the Lorentz force separately and applied it as a body force. The problem is, when I solve with inlet and outlet constant pressure conditions, the flow profile remains parabolic instead of flat in the middle. I have tried to use exact solutions as a first guess, but my solution does not converge. Am I applying the wong boundary conditions (using comsol 3.5)? I want a somewhat constant dP/dx so it can match my exact solution.

I think end effects may be altering my solution, but I don't understand why the solution is parabolic when I clearly apply a force that is stronger in the middle of the flow.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Replies Last Post Oct 24, 2010, 6:19 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Timothy DePuy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.