Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Buggy GUI on Mac OSX ???

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I run comsol on a linux worstation and on a macbookpro. the latest model with fastest i7 proc available, ssd and 8MB ram with all software up to date as time of writting including java machine.

I observe on Mac only and NOt on my linux workstation systematic "slowness" of the gui compared to my linux workstation but MOST importantly comsol gui crash repeatedly and frequentl, every hour or so always while I try to move from one section to the building model to another one.

In my experience, this is platform specific and limited to mac.

so my question to you guys:

using comsol on mac do you have similar experience or not?
if I am the only one it might be a prob;em on my computer [ iI reinstalled everything tough and the problem remain the same and with comsol exclusively....

Hope I will get some feedback on this one ..

Thanks,
JF

2 Replies Last Post Oct 26, 2010, 5:30 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2010, 4:54 a.m. EDT
I can confirm this. The interface is quite sluggish and frequently shows the turning color-wheel to the point that I went back to linux for it. In linux it is quite smooth. I assume it is because of prepackaged Java of Mac, but I hope there is a work around.

--
Comsol 4.0a
Ubuntu 10.04.1
I can confirm this. The interface is quite sluggish and frequently shows the turning color-wheel to the point that I went back to linux for it. In linux it is quite smooth. I assume it is because of prepackaged Java of Mac, but I hope there is a work around. -- Comsol 4.0a Ubuntu 10.04.1

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2010, 5:30 a.m. EDT
I "like " to hear that and yes I found comsol on mac not practically usable too.

I must say that before posting here, I asked this question to comsol support a while ago and get a disappointing answer.

"they were not having any problem on any of their mac"

I would appreciate if comsol was MUCH more upfront about the existing bugs and problems as they are.

In the end it i snot like we are going to move to another platform for we are using comsol for a reason so in a business sense we are mostly a "captive group"

but it is VERY irritating to waste time { as a professional I bill my time so wasted time is wasted money for me] that you realize could have been saved if you had been given the proper information [ even whe it is bad news

[ On a technical side, I agree with you that it is probable that it is java related]

JF

I "like " to hear that and yes I found comsol on mac not practically usable too. I must say that before posting here, I asked this question to comsol support a while ago and get a disappointing answer. "they were not having any problem on any of their mac" I would appreciate if comsol was MUCH more upfront about the existing bugs and problems as they are. In the end it i snot like we are going to move to another platform for we are using comsol for a reason so in a business sense we are mostly a "captive group" but it is VERY irritating to waste time { as a professional I bill my time so wasted time is wasted money for me] that you realize could have been saved if you had been given the proper information [ even whe it is bad news [ On a technical side, I agree with you that it is probable that it is java related] JF

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.