Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Normalized electrical field??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I'm looking at modes in a waveguide. To obtain the electrical field of the diffrent modes COMSOL solves an eigenvalueproblem and gives me the egenfrequencis. But how does COMSOL normalize these diffrents modes. Does anybody knows how COMSOL normalizes??

Have a nice day!
/Olivia

2 Replies Last Post Nov 30, 2012, 2:51 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Olivia Karlberg

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 30, 2012, 12:34 p.m. EST
I'm also looking for answers to this. Have you found anything after 2 years ? :D
I'm also looking for answers to this. Have you found anything after 2 years ? :D

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 30, 2012, 2:51 p.m. EST
Hi

the eigemfreuqnecy solvers have a few different ways to normalyse the mode shapes, but their absolute amplitudes are arbitrary, by the definition of the eigenmode solver process. At best one can compare the relative energy or amplitudes, its a qualitative way to look at the modes, no absolute measurements.

hence in solid a 10 um cantelever, might show up with 10 "m" aplitude displacement, this is not physicsal, but the relative shape remains still correct

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the eigemfreuqnecy solvers have a few different ways to normalyse the mode shapes, but their absolute amplitudes are arbitrary, by the definition of the eigenmode solver process. At best one can compare the relative energy or amplitudes, its a qualitative way to look at the modes, no absolute measurements. hence in solid a 10 um cantelever, might show up with 10 "m" aplitude displacement, this is not physicsal, but the relative shape remains still correct -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.